Terms and Conditions: An Education

19 of 77

Terms and Conditions: An Education

Disclaimer:- I have used several real world examples to illustrate my points. This is not an attack on Airline X or Y – but some companies are worse offenders than others. My examples should be considered “education only”.

Disclaimer – some of my examples may seem to refer to certain individuals. It is not my intention to single anyone out as I know damn well that if A says no B-Z will happily do it instead.

Secondly I am guilty of doing a number of the things that I have listed – can't attack anyone for doing things I have done.

Again my examples should be considered “education only”. You don't have to make the same mistakes as me (although some of you appear hell-bent on making even worse ones)

Introduction

Recent postings on these Forums indicate that some people have no idea what Terms and Conditions are considered “Normal” or “Industry Standard”. In addition there appears to be an incredible level of naïveté present among a lot of posters on this board.

I'm watching developments in the Industry with great concern. As normal Holland is once again leading the way in the “Race to the Bottom”. It's a disgrace that there is now an Airline that functions like an employment agency. They see Pilots as some kind of temp workers. A quick read on their website clearly shows their “toss 'em in the dumpster when we no longer need them” attitude.

All the most unpleasant people I have encountered in this Industry have been in Holland. That includes the biggest liars/thieves/frauds/criminals and most arrogant incompetent clowns I have ever come across.

“Fly at any Price”

I see this mentality in a lot of the posts on the board. Some people will sign any contract no matter how bad the terms. People either don't know or don't care – both attitudes are unacceptable.

The idea seems to be to gain experience any way you can then use this as a stepping stone to a better job. Whilst this may have worked in the past – times have changed. I have a simple question for those of you who think like this.

Where are you going to go?

I'll answer that for you: Nowhere.

There are virtually no jobs so you are stuck at Airline X or Y for the foreseeable future. The problem is that if terms and conditions are crap you're stuck with them as well.

Crap terms and conditions in your 20's doesn't sound too bad? The Ends justify the Means?

How about crap terms and conditions in your 40's? How does that sound?

How will you ever pay off your training costs? Simple; You will be unable.

Retirement? You can forget ever being able to do that. There's a reason your colleagues are working as long as possible.

“I don't care about Terms and Conditions – I just want to fly big shiny airplanes!”

Another common tone in a lot of the threads on this board. Well I have news for you. By accepting sub standard Terms and Conditions you are putting pressure on the rest of us. You may be happy flying big shiny airplanes for 50% of what you should be making with secondary benefits that are a joke – but I'm not!

When your actions jeopardise my Terms and Conditions – rest assured I will say something as one Professional to another.

Some examples of sub standard Terms and Conditions

Paying to have your application processed.

Comment:- What most people don't seem to realise is recruitment is a two way street. Not only are you trying to convince the company to hire you – the company should also be trying to convince you that you want to work for them. It has to be a match from both sides. Paying to apply leaves a bad first impression.

Paying cash for a Type Rating

I'm not talking about self sponsored Type Ratings – I'm talking about an Airline that makes you pay cash for your training. We've had examples where people paid Euro 45000 for a Type Rating (which cost about half that). They got back 15000 after one year – but they had to pay tax on this as it was seen as income – oops!

Others paid Euro 30000 for a Type Rating and ended up with no cash/no job/no Type Rating.

Everyone who did this got screwed – even if some of them would like to pretend that this wasn't the case.

Mixed Fleet Flying (Flying multiple aircraft types) for free

Flying multiple aircraft types means you are more productive for the company. More productivity = more money. That's the real reason so many companies don't fly mixed fleet – they don't want to pay more.

I get paid extra for flying A330/A340 mixed fleet because I'm more productive.

Mixed fleet flying being done with no extra compensation equates to a salary decrease (higher productivity for the same money). Of course once the precedent has been set everyone else will get the same terms and conditions. Nice!

Signing a bond for a second Type Rating

That is not normally the case (although it is now being introduced at several Airlines around the world). You are bonded for your first Type Rating with the company only - second and subsequent ratings have no bond. Again once a precedent has been set everyone else will have to accept the same conditions.

Non Flying duties

Some people will have the chance to do other things beside flying (eg:- Ground Instruction). If you do extra work for the company make sure you are compensated accordingly. Do not work for free. If you weren't doing the job they'd have to hire someone – more expensive then paying you.

Pensions

This is another area people don't pay any attention to – until it is too late. The fact that colleagues are working as long as possible because they have to should be a wake up call that action needs to be taken.
I heard that a former colleague has had to sell everything as his Pension was inadequate.

Think you are going to be OK? Guess again!

Understand that pensions are exponential in nature. The biggest part of your pension is compounded interest.

Example:- The money you put in your pension doubles every 10 years.

Over 40 years that will look like this (oversimplified to make a point).

1/2/4/8 For every 1 unit you put in you end up with 8 units after 40 years

Now look at what happens if you only have 20 years of pension

1/2 For every one untit you put in you end up with only 2 units after 20 years.

You end up with only 1/4 of what you would have had for 40 years. The initial investment is critical to the final amount. The longer that money grows the higher your pension will be.

Too many people have no clue what their Pension will look like. It takes a few hours of time to get an independent advisor to run the numbers for you. Some of you will be shocked at how little you will end up with.

Signing a bond for a Type Rating the company gets for free

When an Airline leases a brand new aircraft this includes a standard “package” that includes training for 6 crews. This training carries minimal costs for the company. If your company is training at the manufacturers headquarters this is why.

Is it reasonable to be bonded for training that the company gets for free?

Getting screwed over and over again

From posts on this Forum it is clear to me that some people have been screwed everytime they've signed a contract. I really think that some people are so naïve they're not even aware of the impact of their actions.

One of the most tragic posts I have ever seen on this Forum was from an individual who stated that Airline X was a benefit because it led to Airline Y etc. etc. What this poster failed to understand was that he was getting screwed at Airline X then getting screwed at Airline Y etc. etc.

Runner up - all the posts about an Airline that was so badly run they couldn't even pay their staff on time. There were no shortage of people defending this Airline (while they were getting screwed by the same company they were defending!). One thread about this Airline had over 30000 views!

That's part one. If I've missed anything please feel free to add to my post.

Coming (soon) in part 2: Strategies that are used to screw you whilst keeping you dumb and happy.

Last edited:
19of77,

while I agree with everything you say, please show me the alternative. I don't feel personally "attacked", but I've paid for my TR as well. Actually no, this discussion has been done before, don't wanna go there again.

I respect you highly for your (although slightly pessimistic imho) continuous efforts to educate people here.
What's the alternative? Flying for BA means flying for free for a month, KLM means ground duties, Easy don't know, FR means no coffee ;). The rest could mean furlough.
OK, this is short term (hopefully), but please tell me how I can tell my boss "No, I'm not updating the jeppy bricks on my off day". The fact that I have 700 TT doesn't help but when I've got 3000 on type things won't be a lot different.

Keep up the good work!

Heerlijk zo'n wake-up call!

Vergeet echter niet dat wijsheid echt wel met de (vele) jaren komt! Daarom is het goed dat iemand dit alles op papier zet!

Heb mezelf ook schuldig gemaakt in een ver verleden aan het kopen van een 500h pakketje. Pakte alleen aardig uit want een ander bedrijf met het zelfde Type bood mij een baan aan tegen een redelijk salaris. Maar....... toen ik een stoeltje naar links mocht opschuiven moest ik alsnog een Trainings Bond tekenen! Dit was een single pilot certified airplane!

Denk dus zeer goed na voordat je iets ondertekend. (Ik had tenslotte al lang en breed voor deze TR betaald, heb het bedrijf dan ook verlaten)

Dit was overigens een Duits bedrijf, het buitenland kan er ook wat van 19/77! :grijns:

Ben in 2003 ook bij Air Excel op gesprek geweest, maar dat waren toen zo'n dramatische arbeidsvoorwaarden dat ik daar niets mee kon. Trek hieruit maar je eigen conclusie.

Een gewaarschuwd mens telt voor twee!

19/77,

Very informative text! A must read for wannabe's who are about to enter this industry.
Let it be an eye-opener!

Already thought about posting this one on pprune??
(Terms and Endearment or Wannabe's sub-forum)
A lot of like-wise opinions there+you'll reach a broad audience.

regards,

NB

@CE550B,

Wel leuk als je ergens gaat soliciteren dat je de naam van het bedrijf wel goed kent: Air Exel is het dus!
Jammer voor jou, maar ik heb er een leuke tijd gehad met betere condities helaas!

Ah, vandaar dat ik niet was aangenomen :grijns: Kon niet lezen en schrijven :grijns:

Begrijp me niet verkeerd, heb nu veel collega's die bij deze maatschappij gevlogen hebben met heel veel plezier. Het was alleen voor mij (financieel) niet haalbaar. Hiermee terug verwijzend naar wat 19 of 77 met zijn post bedoelde!

Unfortunately I share your concerns on terms and conditions and the effects the present economic situation has on the pilot employment market, especially for new starters. It never ceases to amaze me how many people fork out vast amounts of money (preferably through loans) for flying training and type rating / line training without thinking twice about job prospects.

I will probably get sh*tloads of flak for what I am about to write, but it is my opinion and therefore I am entitled to it! ;o)

While one can debate the amount of sense that selection processes and minimum entry requirements for flight training establishments make, in The Netherlands they did keep the number of newbies in check. Why is it that people who did not meet entry requirements or failed the selections for KLS, NLS, Airforce and Navy (that's 4 evaluation establishments in a row questioning your suitability as a pilot) don't scratch their heads and think: maybe this is not for me? Any idiot with enough money can get a fATPL and CPL, having the licence does NOT automatically mean that your personality suits the job of being an airline pilot or that you are entitled to a job as one. Having a driver's license does not make you a good driver, having a pilot's licence does not automatically make you a good pilot. Unfortunately there were/are enough sharks around who took/take blatant advantage of people who can't suppress the glint in their eyes every time they look at a shiny jet. Cheap loans and parents with serious lack of judgement do the rest. It all worked well when the airline business could not get enough people, but now it's payback time for them with people prostituting themselves for laughable amounts of money or even paying to get screwed...

I know the comparison is not entirely justified, but why does everybody accept the fact that you cannot start training to be a doctor without the required entry level education? The profession of airline pilot demands certain amounts of intelligence, learning abilities and aptitude. Why not test/select for that before you start training? Sure, the sharks now have selections as well but they are largely window dressing (in Dutch: "wiens brood men eet, diens woord men spreekt").

There are too many people around who ran all the red lights and chose to ignore the information on job prospects, manoeuvring themselves into a corner they can't get out of. They now feel that the only way not to waste the 100 grand they spent on their licence is to fork out more on a type rating and 'line training', worsening their financial situation even further without the prospect (at least for the next 2 years) of a job.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, before you fire up the AAA: please note that I did NOT say that you CAN'T be a (good) pilot if you didn't train at the "big four", it's just that your chances of becoming one are/were lower. This not about the 'quality' of those training establishments, my point is that everybody lost track of the supply/demand ratio. In Spain there are thousands of people running around with a CPL with no jobs available, don't know exact figures for Holland but my guess is that there's quite a few burger flippers with a pilot's licence...

*braces for incoming*

Well you dont have to brace for impact for what you say has been the truth since the existence of the airliners. So there were some good times financially, but the pilots in the industry were the same.
Only 100 years ago they were no sons of burgerflippers but better off bourgeois to have their sons f*ck around for a while if they were too worthless in a real profession.

These days the commerce around the licencing and initial jobs has just taken such a massive leap that its taking the jobs as they are into a catastrophic downturn.
But why the doomthinking today? Has this not been going on for a while?
I'm looking forward to 19of77's article: How to screw the guys back harder than they screwed you and walk away with a smile on your face

Here's hoping that things will take a turn for the better sooner rather than later, but I fear the market for pilot jobs will be overcrowded on the supply side for at least two years...

Slimjim er zit een grote kern van waarheid in jouw betoog, maar je info is een beetje achterhaald. The Big Four? Ik denk dat we dat stadium al ver achter ons hebben gelaten.

We bevinden ons in een nieuwe luchtvaartwereld. Kijk alleen al naar CTC, een van de meest succesvolle pilotenplaatsers in Europa het laatste decennium. Hun track record liegt er niet om. Maar nu kunnen ze hun cadets niks beter bieden dan zomercontracten: een zomer lang lekker vliegen en dan oprotten... Let op, dit komt van een van DE best gerenommeerde pilotenplaatsers in Europa. That says a lot.

Last edited:
49015:

Eens, met de aantekening dat mijn verhaal is toegespitst op de nederlandse markt. Ook op internationaal niveau zijn er A- en B-scholen, da's zonder meer waar. Met de internationalisering van de vliegopleidingswereld hadden mensen, vind ik, zich ook beter moeten verdiepen in de kansen op een baan na opleiding. Nu heb ik het idee dat mensen zich met name zo snel mogelijk ergens een opleiding in wilden werken zonder zich af te vragen of ze daarmee ook aan de bak komen.

“Fly at any Price”

I see this mentality in a lot of the posts on the board. Some people will sign any contract no matter how bad the terms. People either don't know or don't care – both attitudes are unacceptable.

The idea seems to be to gain experience any way you can then use this as a stepping stone to a better job. Whilst this may have worked in the past – times have changed. I have a simple question for those of you who think like this.

Where are you going to go?

I'll answer that for you: Nowhere.

There are virtually no jobs so you are stuck at Airline X or Y for the foreseeable future. The problem is that if terms and conditions are crap you're stuck with them as well.

Crap terms and conditions in your 20's doesn't sound too bad? The Ends justify the Means?

How about crap terms and conditions in your 40's? How does that sound?

How will you ever pay off your training costs? Simple; You will be unable.

Okay. I agree with most of it. I don't blame people for having to accept sub standard terms and conditions. They might have no choice and have to support their families.

I do blame people flying for airlines with reasonable terms and conditions moaning about it and then later I have to find out that they are not in the union. These individuals do not deserve to be pilots and while being screwed themselves they screw us by letting their colleagues pay for union presentation, while they benefit as well.

Due to supply versus demand imbalance for airline pilots, the only way for our terms and conditions under normal economic fundamentals is down SOUTH. Trying to stop this process involves getting as many guys into the union as possible. I cannot understand people who have invested > 100 000 in professional training who then say "hey I dont have the cash to become a union memeber". You should be ashamed of yourself.

19 of 77. Part of the problem is that when you make your decision to join the profession you normally dont think of the important bits. I bet not many people in their early twenty think about pensions and terms and conditions etc. When you do start to think about that and happen to be in the industry its already too late.

I am so concerned by what I see around me that I have made the decision last year to go back to school and study for another profession. Evolve or die.

Alle complimenten voor de Engelse taalvaardigheden die hier ten toon worden gespreid, maar 19 of 77 kan prima Nederlands lezen.

Vakbonden zijn niet de magic bullet voor het probleem van teveel aanbod van vliegers, ik zal uitleggen waarom: newbies die wanhopig een baan zoeken om de schuldeisers van die anderhalve ton van zich af te houden hebben geen baat bij een vakbond. Die zal ze namelijk adviseren om geen baan met sub-standard terms & conditions te accepteren. Banen bij gerenommeerde maatschappijen met vakbonden zijn er op dit moment niet, en daar komen ze vaak überhaupt al niet binnen omdat ze niet op het juiste schooltje hebben gezeten. Dus ze moeten wel, en daarmee verpesten ze het ook voor mensen die wél hebben bezonnen voordat ze begonnen.

Met mensen die al een baan hadden en hem nu kwijt zijn of raken heb ik veel te doen. Voor mensen die zich zonder goed na te denken in de schulden hebben gestopt, nu krokodillentranen huilen omdat ze niet aan de bak komen en er dan nog maar eens 30k euri extra tegenaan plakken voor een typerating of 'lijntraining' heb geen enkele sympathie. Als je dat dan ook nog doet terwijl je al een gezin had te onderhouden vind ik het van extreem weinig gezond verstand getuigen...

Dat vind ik een behoorlijk arrogant statement SlimJim. Dat er een typerating betaald wordt door velen heeft niets te maken met de keuze voor vliegschool.
Ikzelf een gerenommeerde vliegschool gedaan en 30k moeten dokken om uiteindelijk de ton in Euro's die de vliegschool kostte (zonder daarin meegenomen kosten van levensonderhoud ed) goed te kunnen maken. The things you do na een paar jaar alles te hebben geprobeerd.
Iemand in mijn zeer directe familie heeft ILS (men noemt dat vrije markt) gedaan en moest ook eerst voor een type betalen om bij een flagcarrier terecht te komen...weliswaar via een uitzendbureau, maar een positie is een positie.

Is SlimJim nooit een newbie geweest? Of kwam je op aarde als een gereincarneerde Chuck Yaeger?

Dat sommige bedrijven er wel bij varen heeft er geen zak mee te maken dat de de bij voorbaat kanslozen een kans wordt gegeven, maar meer met een gat in de markt.
Ga jij daar nu gefrustreerd over doen? Dat sommige mensen meer moeten bloeden dan jij? En dat nu je mooie wereldje niet zo mooi meer is dan jij je voor had gesteld?

Ik vraag me af hoe jij je beweringen gestand wil houden en zou graag willen weten hoe jij kan beweren de huidige stand in de markt met een vliegschool of wanhopige aspiranten te maken zou hebben

Ik zie dat je locatie "planet earth" is maar daar geloof ik niets van

Dat vind ik een behoorlijk arrogant statement SlimJim. Dat er een typerating betaald wordt door velen heeft niets te maken met de keuze voor vliegschool

Dat is inderdaad complete b**t. Betalen voor een typetrating heeft nooit te maken met de keuze voor een vliegschool.

Wat wel klopt is dat betalen voor een typerating de markt compleet verpest heeft. Ik kan hier dan ook weinig respect voor opbrengen.

Wat wel klopt is dat betalen voor een typerating de markt compleet verpest heeft. Ik kan hier dan ook weinig respect voor opbrengen.
Ook een beetje kort door de bocht. Het is stom om voor niets te gaan werken, of zwaar onderbetaald na het betalen voor de rating. Ik heb betaald voor een rating, maar in ruil voor een goedbetaald contract.
Kreeg ik de aantekening in m'n brevet, had ik de baan.
Was een betere deal dan wat al jaren gaande was: uren kopen op een type wat maar net voor airliner door kon gaan: Ik noem een Tulip Airways, Base, Gulfstream in Florida etc (vaak zonder baan na die 500 uur!!). Nu krijg je tenminste een behoorlijke rating en een baan als je naar Ryanair, Easy en dergelijke kijkt. En je kan ook nog af en toe een biertje betalen.
In Nederland is die hele situatie gestimuleerd door de arrogantie dat de meesten pas bij een behoorlijk bedrijf op interview konden komen als ze op z'n minst 500 uur hadden. In de States kan je dat vragen, omdat er een behoorlijke GA sector is. In NL is dit alles nogal beperkt.
Als Martinair en co. meer mensen met 0 uur aan zouden nemen, zouden al die jongens en meisjes niet geld naar uitbuiters zoals eerder genoemd te brengen.
Dus wat wordt gedaan: mensen gaan over de grens waar je nog wel een baan voor weinig krijgt, maar peren hem weer na 2 jaar omdat ze eindelijk aan de eis van Nederlandse bedrijven voldoen. Wat ook naaierij is voor die buitenlandse bedrijven. Dus die gaan vanzelf voor een bond of cash vragen omdat de Nederlanders ook niet graag een bond betalen..
Dat vwb het betalen van ratings.
De rest is idd een eeuwig spel tussen vakbond en bedrijf. Ik persoonlijk zou niet voor een bedrijf zonder vakbond werken.
Goede post 1977, ik hoop dat het sommige wannabees wakkerschudt.

Betalen voor een typerating in combinatie met een job offer daar kan ik nog inkomen (da's een soort omgekeerde training bond), een losse typerating betalen om maar in de gratie te komen bij een potentiële werkgever is een behoorlijke sprong in het duister. Vraag overigens de mensen die bij diverse takken van het EdV-imperium hun type hebben betaald en nooit meer terug hebben gekregen maar eens wat ze eigenlijk liever hadden gehad.

Waarom zou je met de ILS in zee gaan? Dan moet je dus niet in aanmerking komen/afgewezen zijn voor de KLS of NLS en idem voor de Luchtmacht / Marine of principieel niet militair willen vliegen. Iedereen die een béétje heeft rondgekeken voor hij/zij begon weet dat de kansen op een baan in Nederland zienderogen slinken als je niet van die schooltjes komt. Het feit dat je ook ergens anders je papieren kan halen wil niet zeggen dat je dat had moeten doen.

Zoals ik hierboven al heb gezegd gaat mijn verhaal niet over de 'kwaliteit' van de diverse vliegscholen, maar over de baankansen na opleiding en daar is wel degelijk verschil. Dat geldt niet alleen voor de markt en opleidingen in Nederland, maar ook internationaal. Wat daarbij wel opvalt is dat het overgrote deel van de A-merken entry requirements heeft en een selectie vooraf doet.

Back