Sao Paulo Crash

CDA/Ads/Back on topic

CDA/Ads/Back on topic

So what? I have been asking for vectors many many times.

Been there (at CAL), and seen their operation. Most TRI/TRE's are European, Yankees or ur fellow country (Canadian) men.. Yes, I have heard (and read) the horror storries. But that's the whole reason they are hiring foreign F/O's to baby sit their local captains in the first place.

You've made my point for for me. The fact that both Korean and China Airlines are hiring expats to stop the locals from making a smoking hole in the ground is exactly why I won't fly on either carrier.

C'mon FD I thought you would know what a CDA is - a fixed lateral routing with a self determined vertical profile to intercept the glideslope. There are no vectors for this procedure. The reason China Airlines was getting vectors was that this procedure was beyond their understanding/ability.

Personal opinion - If you cannot fly a published procedure at one of the World's major airports then you have no business being there in the first place

As far as I know it's NOT illegal. I remember slogans like "A safe way to fly" [Singapore Airlines] "KLM Betrouwbaar." etc.

"Singapore Airlines - a great way to fly" or "Singapore girl - you're a great way to fly" are the slogans.

"Betrouwbaar" translates to reliable. Safety in this case is at best implied. Reliable to me means that KLM would get me from point A to B on time.

I have never seen the word "safe" used in any airline ad - but if you post a copy of the ad that would be appreciated. Until then I stand by my original comment.

Back on topic

Seems the investigation is now looking at the thrust lever position on the engine with the reverser de-activated.

If this was left in the climb detent instead of being retarded to the idle position it would certainly explain the lack of deceleration and the aircraft veering off the runway.

The exact same thing happened at V-Bird. They managed to stop at the very end of the runway with very hot brakes.

"Singapore Airlines - a great way to fly" or "Singapore girl - you're a great way to fly" are the slogans.

"Betrouwbaar" translates to reliable. Safety in this case is at best implied. Reliable to me means that KLM would get me from point A to B on time.

I have never seen the word "safe" used in any airline ad - but if you post a copy of the ad that would be appreciated. Until then I stand by my original comment.

My memory deceived me :dozey: on the SA slogan. And I did some google-searches, and can't find any 'safety' words in airliner-slogans. So you might be right 19 of 77, that there's some kind of constraint on using 'safety' slogans.
If that's really the case, then I wonder why ... for it's quite common in other industries?

Last edited:
I did not know they where trying to get vectored on the CDA. That is slightly retarded to say the least.

I thought they where getting vectors to final, and with that I have no problem. There might be many reasons for one to ask for vectors.

Airwork and drinking do not mix, found that out the hard way last night.

FD

Last edited:
FlyAir en andere maatschappijen worden ook nog regelmatig gevectored voor de CDA approaches. RNAV equipped aircraft kunnen die dingen gewoon prima vliegen, de vliegers hebben er soms problemen mee.

Putty, ja, wat over een paar jaar zo kan zijn, daar hebben we niet zoveel aan. Air France kan helemaal niet beweren dat ze veiliger zijn dan andere airlines. Mochten ze dat proberen, dan kunnen ze direkt worden aangeklaagd voor misleidende informatie. En dat hoeft niet eens door een andere airline te zijn, kan ook door een Reclame Code Commissie of een andere partij zijn. Bewijs het namelijk maar eens. Ik denk namelijk niet dat welke airline dan ook zin heeft in het openbaar maken van al hun incident records. Als je de flight safety blaadjes van airlines (weet niet of ze verplicht zijn, maar KLM en HV geven ze iedere paar maanden intern uit) iedere keer in de krant zou zetten, zou niemand meer durven vliegen. En dat terwijl het volkomen veilig is.

Hoe weten we dat deze transscriptie correct is?

En als we aan mogen nemen dat deze correct is, hoe komen de media er dan bij dat de piloot/piloten fouten hebben gemaakt? Als ik de transscriptie lees, lijkt het eerder op een technisch probleem ...

... het blijft inderdaad bizar, dat de allerlaatste tel van iemands leven publiekelijk wordt ... de dood hoort iets intiems persoonlijks te zijn, en had daarnaast voor de slachtoffers eigenlijk pas heel veel later moeten komen ... r.i.p.

Eigenlijk waren de FDR en CVR data ook bedoeld om confidentieel te zijn.
Is het helaas niet meer. Zal hetzelfde zijn zodra er camera's op het Flightdeck hangen. Daarom wil niemand van de vlieger gemeenschap ze hebben.

Het komt uit een parlamentair comissie die het ongeval onderzoekt. De media in algemeen denkt alles te weten. Een van de braziliaanse tijdschriften heeft de schuld naar de piloten verschoven puur gebaseerd op de gegevens v/d FDR. Mijn mening is dat op dit moment voorbarig is om conclusies te trekken en men moet lang en voorzichtig bestuderen wat de "trigger" was van deze tragisch ongeval.

The New York Times heeft kort geleden gepubliceerd dat het goed voor de overheid zou uitkomen als de oorzaak niet aan de baan zou liggen maar aan de piloten. Dus...Hopelijk zal dit niet in pizza eindigen zoals wij in Brazilie zeggen.

Eigenlijk waren de FDR en CVR data ook bedoeld om confidentieel te zijn

Deels met je eens, de families en nabestaanden worden met zoiets geconfronteerd maar wij kunnen van dat soort informatie leren.

Voor de Airbus vliegers, hebben jullie verdere instructies gekregen naar aanleiding van dit ongeval?
Gr. E.

Voor de Airbus vliegers, hebben jullie verdere instructies gekregen naar aanleiding van dit ongeval?
Gr. E.

Er zijn door airbus wat telexen verstuurd naar de operators. In de laatste (die ik vandaag binnen kreeg) worden de operators door airbus herinnerd aan een revisie van de MEL v.w.b. de procedure bij 1 thrust reverser inoperative.

Gisteren in de USA Today dat de spoilers en reversers niet geactiveerd konden worden omdat (één van) de thrust levers niet in idle stond(en).

Gisteren in de USA Today dat de spoilers en reversers niet geactiveerd konden worden omdat (één van) de thrust levers niet in idle stond(en).

mmmh ... die hebben dus kennelijk de telex van Airbus gezien met preliminary conclusions of die info op een andere manier verkregen. Overigens is deze informatie door de Braziliaanse onderzoekers vrijgegeven. Of ze daar nu mee bedoelen det het in allerlei kranten verschijnt dat weet ik niet ... :dozey:

Papers get it wrong (for a change)

Papers get it wrong (for a change)

Not correct - the reverser on the side with the thrust lever in idle can be deployed if certain conditions are met (from memory below 5' RA).

Spoilers will not deploy with one thrust lever above idle by a certain number of degrees.

The most important thing is that the Autobrakes will not activate with one thrust lever above idle.

Thrust goes to manual mode after landing (will go to wherever the thrust lever is set. So if the thrust lever is in the climb detent you will get climb thrust).

Landed on a wet runway today and watched the sequence. Maximum reverse was selected after main gear touchdown.

After touchdown - spoilers deployed within 2-3 seconds. Only indication is on the lower ECAM.

Reversers indicated amber (in transit).

Autobrake "Decel" light illuminated.

Reversers indicated green followed by maximum reverse thrust (V2500-A1).

A320 handles adverse conditions extremely well - based on 4+ years on type.

19 of 77,

I am not familiar with the airbus systems. Could you explain a few things to me? On the 757 you won't get reverse, autobrakes or automatic speedbrake deployment with a thrustlever out of idle. However, you can always override this. I.e. use manual braking, use manual speedbrakes. How does that work on the airbus?

19 of 77,

I am not familiar with the airbus systems. Could you explain a few things to me? On the 757 you won't get reverse, autobrakes or automatic speedbrake deployment with a thrustlever out of idle. However, you can always override this. I.e. use manual braking, use manual speedbrakes. How does that work on the airbus?

Manual braking works exactly the same - pressing the brake pedals will disconnect the Autobrake and give manual braking.

Ground Spoilers are set in the arm position prior to landing - they deploy automatically on main gear touchdown if both thrust levers are in idle. There is no movement of the speedbrake lever and no possibility to deploy them manually.

Only indication of deployment is on the lower ECAM (bottom centre screen).

There is no movement of the speedbrake lever and no possibility to deploy them manually.

Only indication of deployment is on the lower ECAM (bottom centre screen).

That is outrageous in my opinion.

If you need the bloody speedbrake you should be able to use them...

Speed brake/Ground spoilers

Speed brake/Ground spoilers

That is outrageous in my opinion.

If you need the bloody speedbrake you should be able to use them...

In flight you can move the the lever to get speedbrakes (spoiler panels 2,3,4).

Arming the speedbrake will give you ground spoilers (spoiler panels 1,2,3,4,5) on landing under the conditions specified earlier.

Really not that big a deal - I've never had ground spoilers fail to deploy.

If you leave one thrust lever in the climb detent during landing you have a very serious problem - being able to manually deploy ground spoilers isn't going to be much use to you IMHO.

What if there is a mechanical defect where one thrust lever can't be set to idle, or it doesn't register as set to idle? That means you can't break and are doomed to crash???

Back