Werken buitenland, Wonen Nederland

Working outside the EU

Working outside the EU

For those who are interested - I thought I'd share my perpective on working outside the EU.

I looked at commuting within Europe but I figured there was too much travelling involved vs. actual time spent at home. I didn't want to end up like Sandertje (amazed you could do this for 8 months!).

I take 3-4 blocks of leave every year. I plan my leave every November for the next year. We get 8 days off in every 4 week roster. Company gives you 4 days off in a row at the end of one roster followed by 4 days off at the beginning of the next roster. I get three of these blocks every year.

In addition I get 36 days leave/year. When I get my 8 day blocks I add leave days to give me a string of consecutive days. Sometimes they will only let me add three days - at other times I can add up to three weeks. This involves a bit of negotiation.

Total days available are 36 + 24 = 60 days. Travelling to Europe and back costs three days (1 day out 2 days back due to the time difference). 4 blocks of leave/year gives a maximum of 48 days (60 -12 = 48 days) at home.

I plan one block of 30 days/year as my annual leave. The company pays my ticket home as part of the contract. I have designated my home town as Calgary, Canada. This gives me the option of going to Canada - and if I choose to travel to Europe it costs the company less so there's no problem. Annual leave ticket is for self and up to three dependants. We have guys from South America working here so this benefit is worth a great deal of money.

I have really come to appreciate the benefits of staff travel - my employer has the best setup I have ever seen. I can jumpseat within our own network - have yet to be charged anything for this. In addition we have interline deals with most IATA carriers as well as Zed tickets.

My last trip to Holland cost me Euro 100 - that's for the London - Amsterdam - London portion.

I plan three leave blocks between May and October. The other leave block is in January/February. I'm using this block to explore Asia (combined Singapore and Indonesia this year).

This arrangement works very well for me. I also have the option to travel within the region on my days off (it is possible to take the morning flight to Bangkok - spend the afternoon shopping - then take the evening flight back).

Ik ben er wel achter dat shuttlen na verloop van tijd gaat opbreken. Tenzij je een fatsoenlijk rooster hebt.... :rolleyes:

Back