Surviving Tough Times

Grin and bear it is the way it's looking like. We zouden die recessie niet moeten willen voorkomen maar accepteren als een correctie op excessen zoals die meneer in het eerste filmpje zei. Ik ben het daar dan ook érg mee eens!

Peter Schiff komt iig niet armer uit de crisis , die willen ze nu overal!
Snugger aangepakt...

Difference between recession and depression?

Recession: your neighbour looses his job

Depression: you loose your job..

Denk persoonlijk ook dat het nog een stuk zwaarder gaat worden !

Answers?

Answers?

Ik zie de uitdagingen waarover jij het hebt, maar hoe zie jij de wereld over 3 a 5 jaar, en hoe zou je jezelf volgens jou moeten beschermen?

It will be a very different world but as to the exact shape of things to come - your guess is as good as mine. I do think you'll be looking after yourself more rather than relying on government to help you.

I have offered a number of survival tips in the first part of this thread. Here's what I'm doing at the moment:-

The key issue for me is "survival".

Up to September of last year I was putting all my money towards paying off my debt. The only thing I owe money on is my house. My original plan was to have the mortgage paid off by the end of this year. This would mean all my savings being put into my mortgage.

Once I started to research what was going on I switched from paying off my mortgage to increasing my savings. I want a finacial buffer in case I lose my job. I ran into a problem - where to keep my savings?.

Stock Market? Wall Street is the most corrupt place on the planet. I expect further declines so this is not an option

Banks? My research indicates most banks are insolvent (Bankrupt). I have serious doubts about "guaranteed deposits" in the event of multiple bank failures. Our entire financial system is a giant Ponzi scheme. I think bank closures/limiting withdrawals is inevitable. Savings are useless if you can't get at them.

Cash? I'm slowly increasing the amount of cash I have on hand. In case the banks close I can still buy things. Definitely a good option given the current mess.

Gold/Silver? My research indicates this has historically been a good way to protect your wealth during tough times. I'm putting the bulk of my money here at the moment. Gold/Silver are doing very well at the moment. One other nice option is that I can switch easily to cash and use that cash for various things (paying off the mortgage for example).

This is a flexible strategy that can be changed as conditions warrant. Another important issue for me is the downside risk is minimised. For me its not about making money (a nice bonus if it happens) but about keeping what I already have.

I am also increasing the amount of food I have on hand - if I lived in Holland I'd be looking into the possibilty of growing some of my own vegatables.

Want ik denk dat jou scenario alleen maar verliezers heeft. Als geld niets meer waard is en wij zijn elkaar met goud gaan betalen, dan wordt niemand daar wijzer van. Staatschuld is ook alleen maar een “papiertje” met een schuldbekentenis. Dat papiertje is dan ook niets meer waard. Net zo min als je hypotheekovereenkomst. Wie gaat je huis kopen als geld nauwelijks (zoals bijvoorbeeld Zimbabwe) meer iets waard is?

Most of us will lose in the future - we will all have to live with a great deal less than before. If currency collapses we will go back to the barter economy where people trade goods and services. Everything still has value - just not in terms of currency. This system worked before - if necessary it will work again.

Your house is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Look at what is going on Dubai. House prices are collapsing and people cannot sell their homes because there are no buyers. In that kind of market the value of your house is meaningless.

Ik ben gewoon erg benieuwd als leek, wat volgens jou dan mogelijke oplossingen zouden kunnen zijn, of zijn die er niet?

I would have to agree with Peter Schiff - let things run their course. Unfortunately the choice so far has been to continue to prop up a broken system - doomed to fail IMHO.

Hey 19 of 77, heb je thuis nu een potje met goud en zilver of staat dat veilig bij een bank?

Het voordeel van (een stuk ) aflossen van de hypo op je huis is natuurlijk wel weer lagere rente lasten.

I hear this argument a lot. The fact is this has already happened - the reality has not caught up with us yet. QUOTE]

Most of your posts include words like: will...., prepare, survival, in case, if, when, inavitable, risk etc etc etc.

These words indicate future. Not present.

I am not saying you are wrong. As a matter of fact I agree with most of your posts. But none of us really KNOW what is going to happen. We can only give our opinion based on the information we have.

best regards,
Eelco

Hey 19 of 77, heb je thuis nu een potje met goud en zilver of staat dat veilig bij een bank?

Het voordeel van (een stuk ) aflossen van de hypo op je huis is natuurlijk wel weer lagere rente lasten.

I buy and sell Gold/Silver online. There are a number of companies that will buy and sell bullion on your behalf. I'm only buying bullion - I won't touch "paper Gold/Silver"

Goldmoney

I've reduced my monthly mortgage payments by about 60% - gives me more savings every month.

I am not saying you are wrong. As a matter of fact I agree with most of your posts. But none of us really KNOW what is going to happen. We can only give our opinion based on the information we have.

You are correct - I don't know either. Most of the possibilities I have been reading about spell disaster. I believe in preparation - doing nothing is no longer an option IMHO.

I encourage people to think for themselves and to do what they think is best - I'm doing what I think is best.

Here's someone with a solution (.pdf file)

How to Stop the Depression

More Eurozone data - doesn't inspire confidence.

Can the Euro survive?

More Global Data - the numbers/charts speak for themselves

Time for a reality check

IMHO it's about what you believe no matter what people say. Same thing as with Gore's 'the Inconvient Truth'. Is the planet really going to shit? Or are we entering a new phase in evolution?

Yes finances are created: money=debt. So what?

Even if I loose every possesion I own, it will still not make me a different person. I am who I am and believe in abundance. Wether that is money in the bank (or the palm of my hand) or the loved-one laying next to me in bed. If our system goes back to the stone age I will still be me. And I will still be happy. No if's, no but's, no doubt's and no reserves. I have alot to give and alot to recieve and that is not linked to my current financial status or state of the planet.

I am happy to live in my house and drive my car but it doesn't MAKE me happy to live in my house and drive my car.

So bottom line of my opinion: yes I think that the financial world is up for a big change and our lives are going to change along with it. Will it make me unhappier? Nope, not a chance :D

Kind regards,
Eelco

IMHO is die Goldmoney club lijkt mij net zo nep en waardeloos als virtuele aandelen die een eigen leven via je internet account (zoals de meeste van onze bankrekeningen overigens). Een goed gevuld potje goud of zilver al dan niet ingegraven in de tuin lijkt me dan toch veiliger.

This year, taxpayers will receive an Economic Stimulus Payment.

This is a very exciting new program that I will explain using the Q and A format:

Q. "What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?"
A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q. "Where will the government get this money?"
A. From taxpayers.

Q. "So the government is giving me back my own money?"
A. Only a smidgen.

Q. "What is the purpose of this payment?"
A. The plan is that you will use the money to purchase a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. "But isn't that stimulating the economy of China?"
A. Shut up."

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the US economy by spending your stimulus check wisely:

If you spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China .

If you spend it on gasoline, it will go to the Arabs.

If you purchase a computer, it will go to India .

If you purchase fruit and vegetables, it will go to Mexico , Honduras , and Guatemala (unless you buy organic).

If you buy a car, it will go to Japan .

If you purchase useless crap, it will go to Taiwan .

And none of it will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America . You can keep the money in America by spending it at yard sales, going to a baseball game, or spend it on prostitutes, beer (domestic ONLY), or tattoos, since those are the only businesses still in the US .

Altijd wat te zeiken he in Amerika? Dan krijgen die rednecks hun belastinggeld nog terug en gaan ze weer lopen janken. Producéér dan wat i.p.v. te klagen dat andere mensen je knaken krijgen.

Alleen maar omdat er een democraat aan de macht is. Altijd weer die zelfde boe-roepers en naysayers. Gek gezien het feit dat dat volk juist Amerika (en de rest v/d wereld) in de problemen heeft gebracht. En sowieso, waarom al die haat?

Hmmmmm, the prostitutes are illegal (except Nevada). So if you get caught with one you'll be fined for investing in America. Let's see: she get's your money (and has to hand it over to the cops = local city government), you have to pay the fine to the same local city government, that uses the money to reduce the budget deficit created by loss of sales- and property tax income. Now I see how it works.....

Altijd wat te zeiken he in Amerika? Dan krijgen die rednecks hun belastinggeld nog terug en gaan ze weer lopen janken. Producéér dan wat i.p.v. te klagen dat andere mensen je knaken krijgen.

produceren, dat is nu juist het probleem. Bijna alle auto onderdelen worden in Mexico geproduceerd. Sinds 2003 wordt bijna al het snoepgoed in Mexico gemaakt (volgens de Valentijnsdag editie van USAtoday) omdat de prijs van suiker veel lager is. Philips heeft meer dan twintig electronica fabrieken in Juarez (grensstad met El Paso) die alle electronica voor de VS produceren. De rest van wat er te koop is komt uit China. Customer telphone support: India
Er zijn nog maar weinig producten waar "made in the US" op staat. Als ik nadenk dan kan ik niet eens bedenken wat ik heb dat echt amerikaans is. Misschien de "japanse" auto's. Als 70% van het werk in de VS gedaan is dan is het als amerikaans geclassificeerd. Motor, versnellingsbak, assemblage in the VS, alle andere onderdelen uit Mexico. En ik heb genoeg stoelbekledingen, zekeringen, wiring harnesses vanaf de grens de VS ingevlogen om een idee te hebben waar dingen vandaan komen

De auto's van GM en Ford (Chrysler weet ik niet zeker) worden overigens niet eens in de USA geassembleerd maar net aan de andere kant van de grens bij Detroit: Canada.

De auto's van GM en Ford (Chrysler weet ik niet zeker) worden overigens niet eens in de USA geassembleerd maar net aan de andere kant van de grens bij Detroit: Canada.
God bless the unions and all the good they have done:eek:

Even if I loose every possesion I own, it will still not make me a different person. I am who I am and believe in abundance. Wether that is money in the bank (or the palm of my hand) or the loved-one laying next to me in bed. If our system goes back to the stone age I will still be me. And I will still be happy. No if's, no but's, no doubt's and no reserves. I have alot to give and alot to recieve and that is not linked to my current financial status or state of the planet.

Agree with you 100% - if more people thought this way perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess.

IMHO is die Goldmoney club lijkt mij net zo nep en waardeloos als virtuele aandelen die een eigen leven via je internet account (zoals de meeste van onze bankrekeningen overigens). Een goed gevuld potje goud of zilver al dan niet ingegraven in de tuin lijkt me dan toch veiliger.

I've researched Goldmoney and I have bought and sold Gold/Silver through them.

I wanted to buy Gold/Silver coins but they are almost impossible to find. All the dealers I have looked at are sold out. I even looked on e-bay but the prices that are being asked (100% over spot price) are ridiculous.

I look at it this way

goldandsilver2ts1.jpg

A more balanced article on Gold

In times of crisis, never forget the value of gold

Last edited:
Hmmm...dunno. Goud heeft zich al millenia lang bewezen als storage of value, terwijl dat papieren (monopoly) geld waar wij mee rondlopen zich sinds de afschaffing van de goudstandaard slechts enkele decennia "bewezen" heeft.
Check anders effe deze video uit die Crash Course serie die 19 of 77 een paar dagen geleden gepost heeft. Duurt maar 7:25 minuten en bespaart me weer een hoop getyp. ;)

Time will tell, maar ik koop in ieder geval af en toe wat Gouden munten (in DXB, daar is nog genoeg voorraad, of, indien beschikbaar, bij mijn Duitse bank) en heb een account bij Goldmoney.com voor goud en zilver.
IMHO is die Goldmoney club lijkt mij net zo nep en waardeloos als virtuele aandelen die een eigen leven via je internet account (zoals de meeste van onze bankrekeningen overigens).
Op zich is dat Goldmoney een echte (hele ouderwetse) bank, ze bewaren namelijk jouw goud dat je vervolgens kunt omwisselen in geld/munteenheden.

Back