Convair crash zuid-afrika

Very strange - hopefully the final report will have more information.

I question taking passengers on what appears to be a test flight after heavy maintenance - you want the aircraft as light as possible since the technical status is unknown.

My experience is that after heavy maintenance the aircraft is first run with the cowlings off to check basic system operation and look for any leaks.

Only then is the aircraft run with the cowlings on and only after a successful run up and power check is a test flight done.

Then the aircraft will be released to service.

Unclear how much of this was done.

Last edited:
Waar slaat die opmerking nu weer op?
Hij geeft zijn mening gebaseerd op zij ervaring en hij heeft een legitieme vraag: waarom waren er Pax aan boord bij een test vlucht?
Dit is een forum, we discussiëren hier zaken.

De wereld zit duidelijk te wachten op uw superieure expertise.

I have 3400 hours on the DC-3 (1900 as Captain).

I am very familiar with all aspects of operating radial engines.

I have had an engine failure on the DC-3 so I'm quite familiar with the limited performance that exists on one engine on older aircraft.

I have also done test flights after heavy maintenance including one where the propeller governor wasn't working correctly and we had to make an immediate return while trying to prevent a propeller overspeed.

I wouldn't even consider taking passengers on a test flight - this is the hardest part to understand.

Sorry that my qualifications are somehow offensive to you.

Please list your qualifications.

Back