Convair crash zuid-afrika

Er is door een aantal media vermeld dat het hier om een testvlucht zou gaan.
Andere media geven aan dat het nog een charter vracht vlucht was voor het vertrek naar NL.

As South African radio station Eyewitness News noted, citing a representative of the airport, the crashed plane made a cargo charter flight and crashed into a factory building.

https://sputniknews.com/africa/201807101066232492-plane-crash-pretoria/

Andere website meld dat het 350k Euro heeft gekost om de kist 'flight ready' te krijgen.

https://www.news.com.au/world/afric...a/news-story/c8a917bff674f0dfb0b86818328d4e9d

Very sad to hear.

These older aircraft are not certified under modern regulations and do not meet a lot of them including engine out climb gradient.

The best you can normally do is to maintain altitude - if you have an engine failure at 50' then you fly a 50' circuit!

Trying to climb with an engine out will put you below Vmc very quickly with predictable results.

A lot of these aircraft will not fly if the failed engine cannot be feathered - feathering pump check is mandatory on the first flight of the day and is a no-go item.

In the above scenario the only option is a forced landing before running out of airspeed.

The engines were designed to run on leaded 100/130 (or higher octane) fuel. I've never seen studies on the effects of running radials on 100LL.

From the videos there is white and brown/black smoke visible - white is oil related and black/brown is fuel related.

Ik ben dit een beetje zijdelings aan het volgen op verschillende media.
Wat 19 of 77 al aangeeft;

• Wat is het motor vermogen met 100LL ipv 130/140 zoals vroeger?
  • Werkte het water/methanol anti detonatie (injectie) systeem?
  • Zo niet wat is de nieuwe max take off weight?
  • Werkte het auto feather systeem en was het ge-armed?
  • Met een elevation van 4100' was de density altitude met 1013Hpa en 22C ongeveer 6000'

Ik ken dit type vliegtuig nauwelijks en er zijn zoveel modellen/varianten maar bij een aantal ervan was MTOW bijna 9,000lbs minder met het ADI (Anti-Detonation-Injection) systeem inop.
Ik weet natuurlijk basic empty weight en fuel load niet maar met met 19 pax en 2 crew zit je er allicht dichter bij een revised MTOW met de ADI inop dan met de ADI operationeel.
Dat gecombineerd met verminderd motor vermogen door 100LL, 6000' DA en misschien erg conservatief gestelde superchargers (turbochargers?)...............
Hoop vragen maar zoals altijd zal dit ongeval na de hoofdoorzaak van de motorstoring nog een 5-6 aanvullende oorzaken hebben.

Het lijkt op de verschillende videos dat er tijdens de take off roll al een cylinder uitvalt warna er waarschijnlijk meer volgen.
Het kan ook nog dat de motor op een lage hoogte door de crew is uitgezet dit om verdere schade te voorkomen met de ferry naar NL in gedachten (?).
In any case hoop ik snel het rapport te kunnen lezen.

R-2800 is apparently a very reliable engine.

They do need a lot of TLC to keep them running. Less and less Engineers around who know their way around radials.

Cylinders don't just fail - usually you can detect cracks before a catastrophic failure takes place. Depending on which one fails you can find a combination of MP and RPM that will keep it running.

After every landing you look at the oil streaks on the cowlings and see where the leak is coming from - that's how cracks are normally found.

Also seeing what metal particles are present in the oil screens will tell you what is failing. Cleaning the oil filters will give you fistful of metal particles - no problem as long as none of them are magnetic.

You need to be a good listener - any unusual noise or vibration may be an indication something has failed.

I've flown almost exclusively with R-1830 and I've had one inflight shutdown in 3400 hours.

Hopefully they will be able to figure out what went wrong.

Just had another look at the videos - looks like white smoke. The darker colour may be due to the lighting conditions. Looks like the prop rpm on the left side also changes.

Last edited:
Naam van bedrijf weet ik niet.
Hier een crash uit 2004

The plane departed Opa-Locka (OPF) at 08:39 carrying a load consisting of electronics, toys and furniture. About three miles offshore, at 3,000 feet, the pilot felt the plane vibrating and he saw smoke coming from the no. 1 engine. The crew were unable to feather the no. 1 propeller and the plane began to lose altitude. The pilot then turned and ditch

https://reports.aviation-safety.net/2004/20041204-0_CVLP_N41626.pdf

En een uit 2001 maar dat was een turboprop met 75,000+ uur airframe.

N582HG-21.jpg

The photo is a Convair 580 with the Allison Engines.

The report is for a piston engine Convair 340.

I never said otherwise.
The quote and the link deal with the 2004 crash that I mentioned first and then I mention a 2001 crash with the accompanying picture.
Duh

Happens to the best of us.
Latest news that I could find:

Two Qantas pilots critically injured in a fatal vintage plane crash in South Africa last week remain in induced comas in a Johannesburg hospital.

Training captain Douglas Haywood and recently retired captain Ross Kelly, both from NSW, were among 19 people aboard the 64-year-old aircraft that crashed shortly after take-off in Pretoria on Tuesday

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/pilots-injured-in-vintage-qantas-plane-crash-remain-in-comas

Feit blijft dat oude vliegtuigen oude vliegtuigen zijn.
Die ver, soms heel ver voorbij hun ‘design’ leeftijd vliegen.
Ik zal de eerste zijn die zegt dat het leuk is en belangrijk in historisch opzicht maar destijds de doden bij de DDA crash en nu de Juncker is geen ‘incident’ meer natuurlijk.
Een privé eigenaar die met een historisch vliegtuig verongelukt is heel iets anders dan 20-30 van het ‘gewone’ publiek die een redelijke zekerheid van veiligheid mogen verwachten.
Onlangs ook een DC-3/C-47 in Texas bij de start verongelukt met 14 Pax aan boord.
Je kan niet ontkennen dat vliegtuig ontwerp 80-90 jaar verder is.
En ik zie dat meer als een logaritmische schaal dan als een lineaire.
Wat ik daarmee bedoel is dat binnen 60 jaar zijn we van Ottho Lilientahl naar de maan gegaan.
Dat is geen lineaire ontwikkeling.
We hebben het hier over vliegtuig ontwerpen die onder huidige regelgeving ( 23 en 25 of de Europese versie) nooit gecertificeerd zouden zijn vanwege onwenselijke vliegeigenschappen zoals overtrek gedrag of ontwerp van brandstof tanks.
Allemaal ontworpen met een potlood en rekenschijf.
Zijn een aantal YouTube video’s uit de oude doos over stall gedrag en stall testen van de DC3.
Kist overtrekt vleugel tippen eerst waarna rol roeren en het hele ding rolt ondersteboven. In de video gaat een kist zelfs in een vrille.
Vliegtuigen zijn gebouwd in een tijd waar trainings verliezen heel normaal en geaccepteerd waren.
Dat is nu allemaal anders.
En een Piper Cub uit 1954 vliegend houden is heel iets anders dan een super constellation veilig in de lucht houden.
En er komt een tijd dat je dit soort spul moet parkeren.
Daar is geen ontkomen aan.

These aircraft can be flown safely imho.

The problem is that these aircraft are not for amateurs - you need some background and you need to know the limitations that you are working with.

These aircraft need to be treated with respect - very easy to get into trouble.

The Texas crash is clearly aircraft mishandling - I'm amazed that the Captain would tell the right seat Pilot not to bring the tail up. They crashed a perfectly flyable aircraft.

From some of the links I've followed I have serious reservations about the training these people received.

Loss of directional control is an abort in my book.

Last edited:
I’m not saying you can’t.
But with every person taught knowledge gets lost.
You can’t transfer all of your experience.
Maintenance or flying.
Every generation that passes knowledge gets lost.
From people that worked on ( and with) these aircraft their entire career you go to people that worked with these aircraft very early in their career only to people that have never ‘professionally’ worked on these aircraft but have learned in a hobby and recreational environment at historic foundations.
You’re going from overhauling radial engines every day all day your entire career to having it done once under supervision and you’re now legal to do it on your own.
From flying 1000+ hrs in these planes a year to 40-50?
That’s a lot of tribal knowledge lost.
You can’t get that from a manual.

All valid points - agree 100%.

Unfortunately the training requirements currently in place are inadequate to teach new Pilots what they need to know.

From reading some of the comments I understand the Checkride is based around IMC with things like ILS. This for an aircraft that will be flown Day VMC.

With a DC-3 the emphasis has to be on ground handling/take-off/landing because this is radically different from a tricycle gear aircraft. This is where the problems will occur - as is clearly shown in the accident video.

As always $$ is also a factor.

Once airborne a DC-3 flies like anything else.

Back