The Airport Security Follies

2 fantastische stukken uit het artikel:

As for Americans themselves, I suppose that it’s less than realistic to expect street protests or airport sit-ins from citizen fliers, and maybe we shouldn’t expect too much from a press and media that have had no trouble letting countless other injustices slip to the wayside. And rather than rethink our policies, the best we’ve come up with is a way to skirt them — for a fee, naturally — via schemes like Registered Traveler. Americans can now pay to have their personal information put on file just to avoid the hassle of airport security. As cynical as George Orwell ever was, I doubt he imagined the idea of citizens offering up money for their own subjugation.

And although a reasonable percentage of passengers, along with most security experts, would concur such theater serves no useful purpose, there has been surprisingly little outrage. In that regard, maybe we’ve gotten exactly the system we deserve.

Wat een fantastisch artikel! Eindelijk een gerenommeerde krant die er in een opinie stuk kritiek op durft te geven.

De wereld is helemaal gek geworden; we laten de meest idiote security-checks ondergaan, de intregiteit van vliegers wordt betwijfeld; de Dakar 2008 wordt geannulleerd vanwege 'terroristische dreiging', etc etc. De WTC torens zijn nog steeds niet herbouwd, terwijl juist dát HET signaal zou zijn dat ze ons er nooit onder krijgen.

Krankzinnig dat we toegeven aan een paar malloten in een grot in Afghanistan.

Mr. Bin Laden, laat me U de hand schudden, gefeliciteerd met uw overwinning in de 'War on Terror'!

Back