Pprune

Dan heb je de thread niet gelezen, prachtige pratical joke van de oprichter Danny.
Oh.. ik zie dat je niet gekwalificeerd bent (onder de 45 ton). :grijns:

Vraag naar een prof only forum.

Hier Danny’s oplossing
You MUST be a pilot of a jet airliner over 45 tons (100,000lbs), manufactured before 1983 and hold a current and valid ATPL in order to gain access to this exclusive forum.

Voyeurs and hangers-on will not be invited so please don't request access as refusal can cause unintended offence.

Email a copy of your valid licence, current airline ID, a contact phone number and a $20 administration fee to

Consideration will be made for retired airline pilots who can prove they have the type criteria stated above on their licence. They must provide a certified copy of last two months of their logbook.

Once the identity of the applicant can be matched up with their airline and aircraft type and their $20 non-refundable administration fee has been processed, they will receive the password for access to this exclusive forum.

Een van de responses
Over 45T SNOBS

Rarely when I I log on to the internet and in particular PPRuNE am I as outraged and disgusted as I am this afternoon.

Perhaps PPRuNE should rename itself as the Professional Pilot Snobs Rumour Network. Over 45T only makes the cut. Sorry, your 1980 B737 doesn’t cut it, nor does your CRJ/ERJ/717, even a G550. Strewth, we should never admit the GA RPT/Charter guys, as we all know they are only pretend pilots, not true professionals like the “JET”drivers. Oh don’t forget it must be a passenger airline and built after 1983. Sorry FEDEX MD-11 drivers and Cargolux, Polar Air et al, you’re forever to be banished with the UNDER 45 Tonne scum. Now children, you can’t play with the adults.

I note with amusement that most of the Pro exclusive posts come from the UK, a bastion of class snobbery, even today. Heck, why don’t we banish all from the skies except those with the right family bloodlines.

I have been an avid reader, contributor (where my experience and qualifications justify) for nearly a decade, and have learned many things from this forum that I have put into practice in my daily life as a PROFESSIONAL PILOT and I believe I am much better for it. Particularly the discussion by the heavy guys has improved my knowledge (which can be quite useful for interview preparation),or merely arming me with the knowledge to make a wiser decision about the next career move.

The description on the index page describing this new forum is both insulting and demeaning to those professionals who are not yet lucky enough to make the 45 club, or those who don’t desire to. The aim to deter people from posting where they have no expertise is fair enough, but to EXCLUDE all and sundry, bar the chosen few from even viewing is to make one feel like a child again, sent to my room when the adults want to talk. I don’t talk out of place, but I sure do listen and learn. Additionally I strongly resent the use of voyeurs and hangers on. I guess I am now just that in my measly sub 45 Tone ride.

Believe it or not, some or some of us are quite happy to drive an Embraer, SAAB DASH or shock of horrors, remain in charter or even worse, the lowest of the low, the untouchables, the lepers of aviation, the good old instructor. I was taught as a CPL candidate that a professional pilot was just that, whether he was flying a single businessman in a Baron or in command of an A380 with 500 trusting souls in back. The equipment makes no difference, its all in the attitude of the pilot.

My girlfriend is a scientist, a PhD in genetics; she works and associates with the intellectual elite of the world, Nobel Prize winners amongst them. But there is no carry on, no airs and graces. No sign of “ aren’t I good”. In fact they are extremely humble, great full for the chance to contribute to humanity At a conference this year I sat talking to a lovely gentleman who I only later found out was one of the greatest scientific minds this planet has to offer. His encouragement and enthusiasm that he offered a 3rd year university student who came to talk to him left me wondering what are we doing wrong in aviation.

No one in that community thinks they are better than others. Success is celebrated; achievements applauded, new entrants to the field are actively welcomed and encouraged.

Danny, if this is the direction that PPRuNe is going, I no longer want to be a part of it. I wear my uniform each day, proudly, I have worked bloody hard for it, I have earned it. But as I hang a fresh shirt on the hanger, put the bars and wings on, ready for tomorrows challenges, I cant help thinking how ashamed I am now of my profession.

I think I shall now retire from this forum and never come back.

Regards,

Ozgrade3

A bloody angry Aussie, and an under 45 tone driver, ……..and damn proud of what I do.

Van Danny
OK, that's enough. I have had a decent nights sleep whilst downroute and some of us have had a good laugh whilst others have had apoplectic fits.

To those that failed to catch on to my cynicism, all I can say is sorry. To the rest, sorry too!

This has been an interesting exercise in seeing how many of you actually read the whole thread before jumping in with comments and how many are unable to sense the mood.

I shall be offering the data to any Sociology students studying for their Phd's and are looking for content for their thesis. A fitting title would be something along the lines of "The InterWeb and its effects on human gullibility" and subtitled "Percieved social standing without consideration of IQ".

To all those who contacted me privately for the password and their offers of payment, please desist.

Before I close this, I would like to remind all those who believe that a pilots only forum, based on whatever criteria you want, would be no better or worse than what we have here right now. Just because you might think you are better off only talking with your peers, you will still have the same irritations you get here when someone opens their mouth and proves beyond all doubt that they are a fool when previously it was only suspected.

Still, no one has offered a solution to how we vet everyone and to what criteria. As one Australian poster has already demonstrated on another thread that has all the signs of becoming a PPRuNe classic, there's one born every minute. Outrage and a diatribe are what feeds the other half who feel they need to prove that they got the joke.

Where do we draw the line with professional pilots? Obviously some feel that they are more worthy than others whilst some of the others are quite obviously irritated by their own perceived ranking amongst their peers.

When PPRuNe was born over a decade ago, it was decided that "Professional Pilot" would encompass anyone who received remuneration for their job which involved piloting heavier than air machines. We tried to encompass everyone from the wannabe to the student to the instructors to the air taxi operators to the helicopter operators, the crop sprayers, the military and so on up to those of us who enjoy and are fortunate enough to fly the biggest airliners.

As has been demonstrated, we are a very mixed bunch from a huge range of backgrounds and all the complexities that that entails. A few people believe that an "airline pilot" only forum with its associated exclusivity would somehow be a utopian forum where harmony and good manners would reign. Unfortunately, none of those that were the strongest proponents of this exclusive forum were able to see the flaws in their thinking and were even less able to demonstrate where to draw the lines of eligibility, never mind the substantial problem of actually vetting entrants.

Perhaps we can all have a quiet chuckle when we think about it and get on with the every day job of sorting out the wheat from the chaff that makes up this living forum. I and the rest of the Mods go about deleting and tidying up from time to time. The rest of what irritates you has either been missed or is not worth the extra effort and time.

Those in "the know" are more than capable of deciphering the content and the pretenders are fairly obvious. Anyone taken in by them, deserves to be. The rest of us just carry on being a part of this forum, knowing that fraternally, we are part of a privileged group who are the envy of many.

Right, back to business.

Back