Digits goes North

This was not a nice feeling. I started to work out possible plans of action. I could turn back, which would mean at least half an hour flying through known icy conditions. I could descend and hope to break out of the clouds before hitting the ground. I could just continue and hope for the best. After all, I had been flying without problems through the ice for half an hour now. Only problem was, I didn’t know how long the icing conditions would last. Or, I could descend and divert to Taloyoak, which should be a few miles west of me, about 15 minutes away.

I cursed the weather man (freezing level around 10 000 ft, right!) and dismissed the turning back option, since that was the only option that guaranteed me another 30 minutes of ice on the wing. I heard on the Taloyoak frequency that the weather was deteriorating there quite quickly, and they had a ceiling around 900 ft at the time. Taloyoak had an elevation of 92 feet, but there were hills with elevations up to 600 ft around, and some obstacles that were even higher. This made me dismiss the “divert to Taloyoak” option. I was going to try to descend down t o 3000 ft maximum, and see if I would break out of the clouds. Going lower would be useless, since the terrain would start to rise in another hour. A quick descend later, I broke out of the clouds at 4000 ft, only to see another layer below me, almost reaching the ground and another wall of clouds a few kilometers before me. This wasn’t going to work out, so I started my chase for the sun again. Climbing back towards the sun, and checking the wing every 10 seconds, I reached my cruising level of 7000 ft again without collecting any more ice. Ten minutes later I was clear of clouds. Half an hour later all the ice was melted and I continued as happily as before.

An hour later, I had to enter another cloud, with again the same icing effect. This time, I knew what to expect, and half an hour later, the ice started to melt again. The last part of the flight was flown in the nice sunny weather I’d gotten used to. The scenery started to change again. Almost no vegetation, just rocks and water. Lots of water. I saw the first ice of the trip, and some isolated remains of what was one giant area of ice a few weeks earlier.
After 7 hours of flying, I saw the first glimpse of the destination. I radioed the airport, and asked them to inform Aziz of my arrival. The radio was very difficult to read, which made me unsure if my message got through. In the middle of the rocks and water, a shore line appeared. In this shore line, a little bay was forming. Little houses popped up, and 7 kilometers to the west, another group of buildings became visible. The gravel runway was a bit difficult to see, so I made a nice by the book visual approach. Circling overhead, joining left hand downwind (first time this was over an icy sea), trying to keep a visual on the runway (which is not as easy as it looks when everything you see is gravel anywhere). The clouds were at 2000 ft, very dark. I made a smooth landing and taxied to the apron. The ‘tower’ told me I could park anywhere I wanted. Parking anywhere you want in the North means that the parking spot you first select will always be a wrong space, which will mean you have to move somewhere else, exactly where they tell you to, which included a complete useless taxi at slow speed and high power through a gravel apron. Trying not to damage the plane, I reached my final taxi stop. The tower closed my flight plan and I jumped out of the plane, to be immediately greeted by Aziz. The local business man running half of Resolute Bay, who sold me the fuel and offered me accommodations.

I didn’t want to keep him off his work for too long, so I rushed through the plane to collect all my gear. I wouldn’t need my tent to sleep, as he promised he would take care of me. No tie downs were necessary either, as he told me the airport guys would call him if the wind would pick up above 15 kts. All the stuff was packed in his car. It was then I recognized the car: it was a bloody Mercedes! A nearly new silver Mercedes, driving around at 70°N, in a dusty gravel environment.

After a stop at his car shop, where Aziz helped some people fixing a truck, I arrived at his hotel. I updated the friendly people on the AvCanada forum and informed a local pilot I was staying at Aziz’s hotel. I had a lovely dinner made by Randy, Aziz’s cook. I would see Randy a lot the next week, but more about that later.

I made a little stroll through the village and the bay. Resolute Bay. A little later the pilot dropped by for a visit and gave me some more information about flying here. The house keeping lady of the hotel was also a social match maker, and informed a reporter that there was a crazy guy planning to fly to the North Pole in a small airplane. She made a quick interview with me, to feature in her ‘Arctic Explorers’ story. The house keeping lady had the time of her life setting up the interview room with all kinds of props left behind by other travelers. This included a canoe, a dead muskox and some hiking gear. Jane was actually there to jump on an Ice Breaker on its way to Cambridge Bay, telling a story about the North Western Passage, an area still a bit in dispute to whom it actually belongs.

Feeling like a movie star after my interview, I went to bed. I was really high up in the Arctic by now. And I would go higher.

To be continued ...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction, loosely based on a true story. This is not an official report in any way. All rights reserved.

----------

On my way to Resolute Bay
dtfP1000330.JPG

The first ice in the water
dtfP1000332.JPG

The first ice on the wing
dtfP1000337.JPG

Low clouds and a beautiful scenery
dtfP1000356.JPG

Little rocky hills
dtfP1000367.JPG

Crossing the final water
dtfP1000390.JPG

Final in Resolute Bay airport
dtfP1000395.JPG

Resolute Bay, the Bay itself
dtfP1000397.JPG

16th of July: Eureka!
Randy made me a wonderful breakfast, and Jane (the reporter) joined me on the ride to the airport. I first went to visit the meteorological forecast service people of the polar continental shelf program. I traded chips and salsa sauce for a very detailed forecast. CAVOK all the way to Eureka. I was more interested in the forecasts for the North Pole the next day. It took a while to download the satellite images of the pole. Once completed, the scientist took a thorough look, and explained that there was a high pressure ridge creating good weather, but also low clouds about 50 NM from the pole itself. The weather would be stable for about a week, but deteriorate slowly every day. I promised I would call him the next day for an update. When I would fly over the pole, I’d want to see it. So good weather was somewhat mandatory. I added a phone number to my collection to call the next day, and went to visit the radio guy.

This friendly gentleman, a local inuit, took care of the plane during the “night”, and turned it with the nose in the wind, since apparently it started bouncing away when the wind picked up. Many thanks sir! Next on the todo-list was the fueling of the plane. This time it took only one barrel to fill up the airplane. I described the fueling process to Jane and managed not to cut all my fingers this time. One hour later, the plane was ready to fly, a flight plan was filed, and I tried on my brand new immersion suit. It was easy to get into, but once I was wearing it, I felt like an oversized Teletubby.

I tried to enter the plane. This was already a difficult task in my normal clothes, let alone in a fat, thick rubber suit. After a few tries, the easiest way was too swing my feet across the ceiling and install myself on the seat while trying to avoid breaking the yoke. I tried to keep the question “how will you exit the airplane in case of a real ditching” out of my head and comforted myself with the knowledge that at least I would drown all warm and comfortable.

I waved the people gathering around Jane goodbye and started the engine with a very low throttle setting. To avoid gravel damage, I did not use the brakes and let the airplane roll by itself while the engine was idling. A Kenn Borek Air Twin Otter took off before me. While backtracking on the runway, I performed the necessary run-up items. All looked well. The airplane was ready for its flight to one of the most remote airports in Canada. Full throttle brought the airplane up to speed. I pulled the nose up and set course for Eureka (CYEU). Ten minutes later, every sign of a civilization was gone again. I left Cornwall (the island on which Resolute Bay was located) behind me, crossed some water, flew over some other islands and so on. Some of the water was just that: water, but most of the time, a thin layer of melting ice was still visible, which created some nice patterns in the water. Under influence of the wind, this ice was sometimes drifted against a coast line which, as I would learn later, decreases the temperature drastically.

Only one hour of flying to go, and my map was telling me to expect mountains up to 5000ft. And indeed, first as tiny anthills, later as huge solid rocks, the mountains grew bigger. What was first a little dot on the horizon soon grew into a huge glacier below the wheels of my little plane. Although the absolute height of the mountains was not that high, having the base of the mountain at sea level did show an impressive height difference. I hopped from top to top, trying not to confuse all these valleys (thank you GPS!). I enjoyed the mountain view for 45 minutes. As sudden as they appeared, they shrunk again, only to make room for the final water crossing of this trip: the bay where Eureka was located.

I tuned in on the Eureka frequency, and received a response almost immediately. This was very strange for an airport that received maybe 2 flights a day. I made a wonderful approach over the water and saw the gravel runway between all the other gravel that covered almost every square inch. After the smooth landing, I was told that I could park anywhere. After I parked and shut down my engine, the scientist in charge came to greet me, and, told me to move the plane to the other side of the runway, where they stored their fuel. Aziz made arrangements so I could use a drum of fuel. It took me just under 45 minutes to partially refuel my tanks. I saved the remaining fuel in the drum for my flight back.

The scientist in charge drove me over to the weather station (about 2 km west of the airport). There I found out that the ATC frequency was broadcasted in the recreation room, which explained the rather quick response earlier. I informed the people there of my plans, and asked for a weather forecast for the day after (it was after all a weather station). I was very surprised to hear that they couldn’t help me with that. The weather station only measures data, it does not give out forecasts. That meant I would have to call my new friend at the PCSP (Polar Continental Shelf Project), located 350 NM more south, to get a forecast for the North Pole.

I walked around a bit, and learned that there are normally 9 “permanent” residents. They live in Eureka for 3 months, then go home for 3 months and are replaced by other people. During summer, the population is increased to 15 with extra scientist, flying around in helicopters all around the area. The military itself also had a base there. As a matter of fact, one of my “followers” on the AvCanada forum called the military over there, to ask if there was a C172 on the ramp. So I dropped by and said hi to the station commander. He called me nuts when I informed him about my plan, but also had a bit of respect for it. I also met Massimo, an Italian helicopter pilot who moved to Canada. He was very interested and was curious to see if it would work out. He was already impressed by me reaching Eureka in a single engine airplane.

With all this support and interest in my trip, I went to bed feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. And yet, a little nagging feeling of fear and doubt was sneaking its way into my head. Against all odds, I made it to 80°N in this very unforgiving terrain. I had lots of luck so far that nothing serious broke down, and that the technical problems were discovered before they caused any serious harm. I was lucky to have met such nice people with only good intentions. People who kept their promises, who came through for me in the end. I had been flying for only 2 weeks and was about to reach my goal the next day, or fail miserably in an even more remote area. And what about flying for 12 hours, would I be able to handle it ? Would the plane be able to handle it ? And the ferry tank ? All these thoughts were spinning in my head. I somehow managed to fall asleep. I had confusing and stressful dreams that night.

To be continued ...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction, loosely based on a true story. This is not an official report in any way. All rights reserved.

----------

Resolute Bay airport building
dtfP1000417.JPG

Crossing another creek/river/lake/passage
dtfP1000423.JPG

Using an immersion suit to keep me warm, fighting the cold and trying to keep up my energy.
dtfP1000431.JPG

More and more ice, mountains far away
dtfP1000453.JPG

Crossing the smaller mountains, enjoying the view of the glaciers
dtfP1000461.JPG

Bigger mountains, bigger glaciers
dtfP1000462.JPG

Eureka in sight!
dtfP1000477.JPG

Eureka international airport
dtfP1000480.JPG

Almost at 80°N
dtfP1000482.JPG

Goodnight Eureka. See you tomorrow!
dtfP1000484.JPG

17th of July: …
I woke up around 7 o’clock local time. The plan was to be airborne at 9 at the latest. I packed my gear and put everything I might need in the plane. I left some things behind to make the airplane lighter. No tow-bar, no souvenirs, no sleeping bag. Half of the stuff was put in the Eureka airport building, the other part stayed in my tent. I went to the weather station to get some breakfast. Because it was a Sunday (I lost track of time), most people were sleeping in. I tried to call the weather forecaster at PCSP, but he was busy and asked me to call back half an hour later. So I waited anxiously. Would this be the day I’d fly over the North Pole ? Or would I just spend it waiting for better weather ? Or would this be the day I decided to just turn back and give up on it ? I stared out of the window. At least the 10 NM I could see had a beautiful blue sky. The forecast for Eureka itself was very good all day. CAVOK and light winds.

Half an hour later, I called back. The friendly PCSP meteorologist answered the phone and started to work on the forecast. Because the connection with the server that contained the satellite images was rather slow, he asked to call back again in 15 minutes. So after 14 minutes and 50 seconds I dialed the number again. The forecast was very similar to the one I got the day before. The area around Eureka was cloud free. From 200 NM a little bit of scattered high clouds could start forming. In an area of 50 NM around the pole, I could expect low clouds or fog. Possibly around 400ft. Maybe higher, maybe lower. Around the coast line, some fog was to be expected but only for a few miles, so no need to worry about that. For the next days, no improvements were expected, it might even take a turn for the worst. I got the feeling it was a bit a “now or never” situation, so I crossed my fingers and hoped that I would be able to see the pole. And if not, at least I would have flown over it.

The decision was made to fly. Next part: file a flight plan by phone. They always ask the same questions, but the answers were a little bit more different this time.

“Edmonton Center, good morning”
- “Good morning, I’d like to file an IFR flight plan”
“Ok, go ahead”
- “It will be a local flight CYEU – CYEU via the North Pole, 90° North”
“Airplane type ?”
- “Cessna 172”
[… silence…]
“Estimated time on route ?”
- “12 hours”
“Endurance ?”
- “16 hours”
[…]
“Thank you sir, have a nice flight”

I walked back to my airplane. I did a thorough preflight check, removed the tie downs from the plane while keeping the hooks firm in the ground for when I returned. By now, it was around 10:30 and the people were all moving towards the weather station for the typical Sunday brunch. I added a quarter of oil in the engine, put on the immersion suit and squeezed myself back into the airplane. The more you try to squeeze yourself into the plane, the easier it gets. I looked around the cockpit, and made sure everything was safely secured. All the maps were within reach, the Personal Locator Beacon was hanging around my neck. The spot device was looking for a signal. The satellite phone within reach.

The anxiety from the night before had disappeared and was replaced by a sense of adventure. By the feeling of turning something surreal into reality. I looked at the sky. Checked the apron. Left is clear. Right is clear. Ignition. And the engine was running. Since I was parked at the end of the active runway I needed to backtrack on the gravel runway. This gave me ample opportunity to perform the preflight check. This included checking the ferry tank pumps. All looked normal. I lined up on the runway and applied full throttle once again. The airplane was raring to go and so was I. I could see some people at the scientist camp looking at me. I was hoping I would see them again in 12 hours.

Once airborne I turned heading North. That was one advantage of this flight, it was quite easy to remember which heading to turn. I relied on the GPS to set my gyroscopic compass. The magnetic compass was getting very sluggish and unreliable. When I checked, I flew a magnetic heading of 090°.

The first two hours of the flight I was still over land. It was a bit of a repetition of the day before: mountains with glaciers. Only difference: they were a little higher and so much more beautiful. I could see the fog from the coast trying to conquer the mountains. First the valleys were covered in the steamy fog, then the lower heights and finally the glaciers. Always getting higher and higher, until only the tops remained visible. When the tops disappeared, I was crossing the coast line. At the shore, only a few miles of water were remaining. Barely visible under another layer of fog. When the water disappeared, so did the fog. It made room for a beautiful Arctic Ocean. It was covered for 95% with flat ice. Between the ice were pockets of water. Some had a dark blue color, indicating that these were real cracks, which means you’d sink to the bottom of the ocean if you would dive in there. The others were kind of a greenish blue, with less sharp edges. These were little lakes/puddles in the ice due to the surface melt. You could swim in these without sinking to the ocean. In theory.

Soon, all of the land disappeared and only the white ice was visible. Ice everywhere. Some very thin high altitude clouds and a beautiful sun. I was flying over the ice for 2 hours when I noticed the ice started to disappear. Clouds were forming. Every now and then, the clouds would become very thin which allowed me to take a peek. The ice was still there, which was nice to know if the engine would decide to quit. When I headed North, it got closer to the low pressure area, so every half an hour I cross checked my altimeter with the GPS indicated altitude.

The hours passed by. The EET was soon expressed in minutes instead of hours. The closer I got, the thicker the layer of clouds became. A second higher layer of clouds started to form. The visibility was still very good and there was no ice forming on the wings. The impatience and eagerness to reach the destination started to grow. I checked every gauge and every indicator in the cockpit twice every minute and started my descend to 2000 ft. The minutes started to pass by extremely slowly. Until that moment that the GPS indicated the distance in single digits. 9NM to go… 8 NM … 7 … 6 …. Careful, maintain the track, the longitude indication is very sensitive here. 5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … back to 3 (watch the heading!) … 2 … 1. I was now flying within a 1 NM radius of the geographical North Pole.

Above the clouds, at 2000 ft, I had a beautiful sight at the sun, and I couldn’t see the Pole. I could see a very faint glimpse of the surface, so I decided to try and descend below the cloud base. I dove into the clouds, and a little bit of ice started to form. The surface became clearer and sharper with every feet I descended, so I was not worried of crashing into the water. At 400 ft, I was out of the clouds and I saw the surface in front of me. The clouds must have contained fresh snow and freezing temperatures, because the little puddles in the surface were frozen again, and the surface was covered in a thick layer of fluffy snow. Before that moment I was still considering landing on the pole. An experienced Pole traveler told me that the ice would probably be thick enough to land a C172, but the challenge would be to find a piece of ice unaffected by the surface melt. Turns out he was right.

Tempting faith by trying a landing on wheels on a freshly snowed surface with melted ice everywhere was a bit too risky, even for me. I forgot that idea, and tried to pinpoint the exact location of the Pole. I crossed all 360° meridians in 3 minutes while flying at 300ft with Kenny Loggins’ “Danger Zone”(Top Gun) blasting through my headset.

So that's how on the 17th of July 2011, at 21.25 GMT, a little Cessna 172 was flying over the geographic North Pole, all alone, in a vast white emptiness, more than 400 NM away from the nearest airport.

To be continued ...

----------

Take-off for the North Pole flight
dtfP1000494PIC_0460.JPG

Mountains north of Eureka
dtfP1000501.JPG

Last mountains out of the fog
dtfP1000503.JPG

Creeping fog
dtfP1000505.JPG

Dissolving clouds over the ice
dtfP1000508.JPG

Stating the obvious
dtfP1000513.JPG

Beautiful scenery part 15809
dtfP1000515.JPG

Clouds forming in the vicinity of the Pole
dtfP1000526.JPG

Over the North Pole!
dtfP1000536.JPG

The Geographical North Pole @ 400ft (clickable)

WTF?

WTF?

I relied on the GPS to set my gyroscopic compass. The magnetic compass was getting very sluggish and unreliable. When I checked, I flew a magnetic heading of 090°.

Before that moment I was still considering landing on the pole. An experienced Pole traveler told me that the ice would probably be thick enough to land a C172, but the challenge would be to find a piece of ice unaffected by the surface melt.

I had commented previously on your trip when you stated you were going to Eureka. I see now your real plan has finally been revealed. You were actually going to land there?! WTF?

I also see I was right in stating you had no business in the Arctic seeing your inability to understand the risks involved while vastly overestimating your own abilities.

Let me make it crystal clear - If you had tried a landing at the North Pole you'd be dead now. It's that simple.

The weather conditions were classic white-out. I doubt you could have landed sucessfully with no visible horizon and no way to determine your height above ground. GPS signals are not that accurate as far as height is concerned. Your 400' could easily have been 200' or lower.

Nobody lands on snow with wheels - skis only. It is impossible to tell how deep the snow drifts are with any degree of accuracy. In the event of a landing you'd have flipped over or gotten stuck. Either way you would have died of exposure as it would be at least 36 hours before anyone came to rescue you.

Consider yourself extremely fortunate that you got away with this. I wouldn't use words like "cool" to describe your trip. Reckless and irresponsible come to mind.

I had commented previously on your trip when you stated you were going to Eureka. I see now your real plan has finally been revealed. You were actually going to land there?! WTF?

I also see I was right in stating you had no business in the Arctic seeing your inability to understand the risks involved while vastly overestimating your own abilities.
Yes, landing was in my mind. I was in contact with 3 different people who have all landed on the pole. As well as big aircraft with skis as well as small aircraft on wheels. It can be done, it has been done, and it will be done again (albeit probably not by me). I knew in advance the chances of actually doing that would be very slim, but still, I considered it yes. Without considering crazy things, I wouldn't be over the North Pole in the first place. Hell, I wouldn't even be flying.

There might be a fine line between being being foolish and brave, begin a lunatic and an being adventurer. However, I don't think I crossed that line. I took every possible precaution. So then the only thing that remains is to fly and hope for the best. It might be a bit more dangerous then flying around Brussels or Amsterdam, but don't forget, people fly in the Arctic every day. It's isolated, but not empty. I am very confident that if something would have happened, multiple people would have come looking for me. A lot of resourcefull people were tracking me. I'd bet my life on it (which, I sort of did)
Let me make it crystal clear - If you had tried a landing at the North Pole you'd be dead now. It's that simple.
So that's why I did not land there. I would be dead if I tried to fly without fuel, I would be dead if I jumped out of the window of my appartment. But I didn't do all these things.
The weather conditions were classic white-out. I doubt you could have landed sucessfully with no visible horizon and no way to determine your height above ground. GPS signals are not that accurate as far as height is concerned. Your 400' could easily have been 200' or lower.
I was visual with the surface from 2000 ft. It was foggy and difficult to see, but still, I knew how low the surface was (granted, not the difference between 200ft or 400ft, but I did see the difference between 500 ft and "I'm crashing"). From 400 ft (indicated altitude + gps) the visibility was very good, with a clear horizon. The pictures may look a bit too grey, it was better in reality.
In the next report it will be clear that the gps altitude was correct...
Nobody lands on snow with wheels - skis only. It is impossible to tell how deep the snow drifts are with any degree of accuracy. In the event of a landing you'd have flipped over or gotten stuck. Either way you would have died of exposure as it would be at least 36 hours before anyone came to rescue you.
See above.
Consider yourself extremely fortunate that you got away with this. I wouldn't use words like "cool" to describe your trip. Reckless and irresponsible come to mind.

I think, with temperatures between -2 and +5, that I fulfill at least a few definitions of the word "cool".

cool (kl)
adj. cool·er, cool·est
1. Neither warm nor very cold; moderately cold: fresh, cool water; a cool autumn evening.
2. Giving or suggesting relief from heat: a cool breeze; a cool blouse.
3. Marked by calm self-control: a cool negotiator.
4. Marked by indifference, disdain, or dislike; unfriendly or unresponsive: a cool greeting; was cool to the idea of higher taxes.
5. Of, relating to, or characteristic of colors, such as blue and green, that produce the impression of coolness.
6. Slang
a. Excellent; first-rate: has a cool sports car; had a cool time at the party.
b. Acceptable; satisfactory: It's cool if you don't want to talk about it.
7. Slang Entire; full: worth a cool million.

However, I did (and still do) appreciate your other point of view. It did make me think twice about certain aspects of the trip. But in the end, it turned out it was all very doable. Not just by me, by most pilots. You just have to be a bit carefull and make preparations. Which I did. And yes, know your limits. You may think I overestimated them, but I'd like to disagree. Except for the light icing event, I was never uncomfortable with the way the flight was going.

The way to go Digits! Weet niet precies hoe ik jouw disclaimer "This is a work of fiction, loosely based on a true story. This is not an official report in any way." moet inschatten, maar het lijkt me een prachtig avontuur. Jammer dat 19 of 77 het minder kan waarderen. Normaal een gerespecteerd en altijd goed argumenterend persoon, maar nu slaat hij de plank in mijn beleving helemaal mis. Het is niet veel vliegers gegeven een dergelijk avontuur te (durven) ondernemen. Dit zijn toch de verhalen die we graag teruglezen. Dit overklast elke clubvlucht, met alle respect overigens.

Ik denk dat ik het punt van 19 of 77 maar al te goed begrijp. Ik ga er van uit dat Digits een heel groot deel van zijn onderzoek vooraf en voorbereiding niet heeft verteld. Dat leest ook niet zo lekker. Er zullen vast ook heel wat overdenkingen aan vooraf zijn gegaan, die je ook niet lekker uit dit verhaal haalt. Als je dat stuk weg laat, is het idioot om de vlucht van Digits te overwegen.

Kijk naar hoe bijvoorbeeld Era Alaska omgaat met piloten die daar in dienst komen en je snapt al snel dat rondvliegen in de buurt van/boven de poolcirkel bepaald geen clubtripje is en echt een hoop voorbereiding vereist.

Betekent dat dat ik Digits voor gek verklaar dat hij het heeft geprobeerd? Nee, maar dat hij serieus heeft overwogen om op de pool te landen (nog nadat hij op weg is gegaan) is voor mij ook gekkenwerk. Als ik morgen een piloot moet aan gaan nemen, dan nodig ik eerst Digits uit, maar we gaan dan wel een heel uitgebreid gesprek voeren.

Over de nauwkeurigheid van GPS, is al heel wat geschreven. Die discussie wil ik hier niet voeren. Maar boven de poolcirkel is de nauwkeurigheid inderdaad in de orde die 19 of 77 aangeeft. Als je GPS daar de juiste hoogte aangeeft, is dat meer geluk dan iets anders. Zelfs bij ons in Nederland heb ik de hoogte die een Garmin 296 aangeeft, wel eens heel interessante dingen zien doen. Een verloop van 50 voet in ongeveer een kwartier tijd, terwijl de GPS gewoon op tafel in de woonkamer lag.

Ivm de hoogte van de GPS: mijn standaard hoogtemeter functioneerde al die tijd gewoon hé. Ik heb die in totaal misschien 100 ft gecorrigeerd om te compenseren voor het drukverschil tussen Eureka en de pool. Die verschillen (30 ft/hPa) kwamen qua schatting overeen met de hoogte van de GPS. Dus ja, een hoogteverschil van 50 ft zou misschien mogelijk geweest zijn, maar die fout zal zeker niet groter geweest zijn dan 100 ft.

Kom op mannen! Niet zo'n academische benadering graag. Deze topic gaat over een verhaal vertellen en dan moet dat wel boeien. Het is geen whitepaper. Het heeft toch ook geen enkele meerwaarde om te bedenken wat er gebeurd zou zijn als hij was geland of hoe nauwkeurig zijn gps was. Dat is niet gebeurd. Het gaat om zijn verhaal, zijn belevenis. En die is prachtig. Ben ik dan 1 van de weinige die hier zo over denkt. Dit hele forum had helemaal niet bestaan als 1 of andere idioot niet had besloten om te kijken wat er zou gebeuren als je een paar vleugeltjes aanplakt. Die had de hele gemeenschap tegen 'm in het harnas gejaagd. Ketterij was het. Een heks kan alleen maar op een bezemsteel rondvliegen. De brand erin.
Een zekere vorm van respect is op z'n plaats. Of je het zelf aandurft is een ander verhaal, maar wees bescheiden in het commentaar leveren op hen die nog het avontuur opzoeken.

Als ik baas zou zijn dan had ik je zeker benaderd voor een baan. Zo'n avontuur kom je niet mee weg zonder goede voorbereiding. Maar helaas voor jou ... ik ben geen vliegtuigbaas

Last edited:
@Wutang

I have 7 years/8 winters and 4000+ hours flying experience in Northern Canada. That includes flights above 70N latitude. Most of that was with the DC-3.

This is one of the most hostile and unforgiving environments on the planet.

I have landed on ice strips and on frozen lakes once the snow on top of the ice has melted.

I have learned the hard way to be very conservative when operating in this environment. I wouldn't even have considered doing this trip.

Obviously people look at risk differently.

There was a First Air 737 crash in Resolute Bay in August. This company has 56 years operating experience in the high Arctic.

Kom op mannen! Niet zo'n academische benadering graag. Deze topic gaat over een verhaal vertellen en dan moet dat wel boeien.

Begrijp me niet verkeerd, ik ben het helemaal met je eens. Ook ik vind het een waanzinnig avontuur waar Digits aan is begonnen en dat hij heeft afgemaakt (tenminste dat denk ik, want hij post nog regelmatig. Maar wellicht heeft hij daar een bot voor ingezet? :1855: )

Mijn punt is alleen dat ik 19 of 77 (zeker met zijn achtergrond) heel erg goed begrijp. Als digits weet en echt begrijpt waar 19 of 77 vandaan komt, zou het mij niet helemaal verbazen als hij nog even een paar slapeloze nachten aan dit verhaal overhoud. :eek:

Dat is verder geen veroordeling, want inderdaad, als niemand ooit risico's nam, zouden we nu niet vliegen en had 19 of 77 ook geen baan in een vliegtuig gehad...

Wat mij betreft dus: Laat het bier maar aanrukken en kom op met de volgende aflevering. Ik wil weten of Digits terug is gekomen in Texas met een C172 die in orde is.

With all due respect - most of you have never flown in this area and really have no idea of the issues or the risks involved.

There are several unique problems to flying in this area.

A magnetic compass is unreliable due to the large amount of declination so close to the magnetic N pole. A DG without some kind of latitude compensator will precess 20+ degrees/hour.

This is all in addition to 90 degrees plus of magnetic variation.

Most operators fly grid or "local grid" navigation in this area. This requires a suitable slaved gyro system.

A C172 has none of this equipment. If I understand correctly Digits only had GPS available. If he had lost the GPS signal at any time I don't see how he would be able to navigate let alone find his way back to Eureka. There are no navaids in this area.

I don't consider single source navigation with no back-up an acceptable risk. Flying 101.

When I flew in the Arctic it was mandatory to have an Astro Compass and Almanac on the aircraft. (Commercial Operation). I'm no expert with this but I knew how to use it to calculate the Sun's True Bearing so we could at least update a DG. This was in the days before GPS.

One more point.

The fact that Digits deliberately concealed his true intentions from everyone (I suspect that included the lady he rented the aircraft from).

I stand behind my earlier comments.

The true bearing of the sun, klinkt als een mooie titel voor een trance nummer.
Maar even serieus, ik begrijp 19 of 77, je bent totaal afhankelijk van je gps, geen redundancy met betekking tot de navigatie in een "hostile enviroment".
Maar aan de andere kant, als privé vliegers vliegen we allemaal met ook maar één motor, ook geen redundancy en dan nemen we ook het risico dat we dood blijven als die motor er mee ophoudt.
We vliegen ook allemaal regelmatig single engine over water, bergen, mist, in IMC en s'nachts en dan heb ik zelf altijd wel het idee dat het allemaal wel meevalt met de risico's die ik neem.
Misschien onterecht.
Redundancy is nu eenmaal vaak niet voorhanden.
Overigens met alle respect voor de ervaring die 19 of 77 heeft, die zullen er niet veel hebben hier. Maar wat ik wil zeggen is dat een single engine privé vlucht sowieso nooit de veiligheid haalt van een commerciële operatie. Of dat nu naar de noordpool is of s'nachts van EHBK naar EBAW.

Last edited:
A C172 has none of this equipment. If I understand correctly Digits only had GPS available. If he had lost the GPS signal at any time I don't see how he would be able to navigate let alone find his way back to Eureka. There are no navaids in this area.

I did not have a fancy directional gyro on board, but of course I had the standard direction gyro on board. And yes, 90° magnetic variation was very common, but so what ? Once you know that (which is clearly indicated on the map), it's no difference from flying with 1° magnetic variation. The only problem might be that the signal is too weak to operate the compass correctly, which is why my gyro was aligned with a home made grid map with the longitude of Eureka as the center meridian. This resulted in a N - heading all the way to the pole, and a S - heading all the way back. Since I left the US, I wrote down every correction I made to the gyro, and (if i recal correctly) the average correction was about 14° every hour.
So even if my three (!!) GPS systems would fail, I could always roughly find my way back to the south. Due to the geographical terrain and the very good visibility, I'm sure I would have find the land. And I'm quite confident I would have found Eureka as well. The area up north consist of a few small islands, which makes it not that difficult to determine where you are.

But yes, it was much easier with GPS of course.

One more point.

The fact that Digits deliberately concealed his true intentions from everyone

Ah yes. My first post was actually explaining my plan to fly to the North Pole. I believe this was on pprune. You should read some of comments there (or perhaps you did). People didn't take me seriously. So I split the preparations in 2 parts on AvCanada: on public forums I would ask advice for a trip to Eureka, and via e-mail I contacted some pilots who regularly flew to the pole. And this tactic worked out just fine.

Volgende update zal binnen enkele dagen gepost worden, nogal drukke dagen momenteel.

Obviously people look at risk differently.

19 of 77: this exactly what this is all about.

You talk about commercial operations. That's completely different.

In this case Digits has the complete freedom to choose the level of risk he is willing to take. It's adventurous, but you don't know the level at which he was prepared. There is nothing in the world that prohibits him from undertaking this flight (I think). What is the problem then? The risk choice is his choice, not yours. I think he was pretty aware of certain risk levels. That's different from choosing to take the risk, or walking away from it. I would not do this flight, for personal reasons and the fact I have a wife (and baby on the way). But Digits is free to do so.

It's not because you have all the experience and you decide that's it's lunatic, someone can still choose to try it. Do you really care about risks people like to take (prepared or unprepared)? Then go talk to Alpine climbers. Every year people are atracted to climbing the Mont Blanc because many people consider the mountain as a perfect introduction to Alpinism since the climb is not too hard, and the reward fantastic. I myself I'm very attracted to this undertaking, however, it IS and will always be a risky undertaking. EVERY YEAR people die climbing the "easy" Mont Blanc. And it is still the choice of many people to do it or not.

Also the relation with the First Air 737 I don't get. 56 years of experience yes, but do we know the cause of the crash? And if so, is it related to Resolute Bay environmental issues?

Last edited:
schitterend verhaal digits! Lijkt me echt een ongelofelijke ervaring.
Ik zal me verder niet mengen in de discussie of dit een roekeloze en gevaarlijke actie was of niet aangezien mijn kennis over de luchtvaart niet veel verder gaat dan FSX en wat "World Air Routes" DVD's maar ik vroeg me wel af wat je bedoeld met die disclaimer

Maar ik kijk echt uit naar het volgende deel!

Back