Accident Cork

Who the F*** makes 3 approaches in low vis

That depends....

If conditions are fluctuating
If you have the fuel
If you respect the appropriate minima

Then I don't see an issue.

We'll have to wait and see what the report on this accident says.

Once did 6 approaches in a row into the same airport in a King Air.

Airport is notorious for varying ceiling & visibility conditions. We had plenty of fuel and an excellent alternate about 40 minutes away.

Why?

Because our client wanted us to keep on trying and didn't care about the cost.
He also didn't want to drive the 2 hours it would take him from the alternate.

After the 6th missed approach and now deteriorating conditions we lost hope to make it in and went to our alternate and landed with plenty of fuel (1.5 hours) Client was disappointed but completely understood as he was he very frequent flier and never put any pressure on the crew.

Granted this was while I was working for a small charter operation and obviously completely different from airline operation; it's just to illustrate people can do multiple approaches into the same field.

Kliko adds some interesting info, which makes me wonder.
But that's just me

Van de Irish Aviation Authorities

1015hrs 10 February 2011: Flight Avia No FLT400C a metroliner SW4 with ten passengers and two crew has crashed at Cork Airport. No details of injuries or fatalities are available. The aircraft made an approach to Runway 17 in low vis conditions (Category 2) and went around and did not land and attempted a second landing on Runway 35. The aircraft then went around a second time and came back for an approach to Runway 17. On the second approach to Runway 17 the aircraft crashed adjacent to Taxiway C. Rescue and Fire crew are in attendance. There is a fire and debris has been scattered onto the runway and over a wide area. The accident will be investigated by the Air Accident Unit of the Dept. of Transport. This is correct at this time and may be amended as more detail becomes available.

Bizar ongeval. Heeft overeenkomsten met de Poolse regeringsjet. Het lijkt wel of de Approach Ban uit de Ops manuals zijn geschreven. Als wij de minimums niet hebben bij 1000ft AGL of OM mogen we de approach niet voortzetten, is volgens mij redelijk industry standard. Daarbij komt nog eens dat de crew waarschijnlijk increased minumums gehad hebben omdat het een nieuwe gezagvoerder was. T&G, beetje tegenstrijdig als je het mij vraagt. 6 Approaches doen en geen druk van je klant hebben. Cork is ook nog eens een uitdagend vliegveld, de landingsbaan is net golfplaat.

Back