Aviation studies and going to America

Monkey Man

Hi all,

First of all, I'd like to apologise myself for not writing in Dutch. I'm from origin American and I live for almost 3 years in the Netherlands. I can read Dutch, though it'll take some time, but writing is something more difficult, though I'm still learning Dutch everyday I wake up in the land of the mills and the tulips :blabla:

This is my first post so I'll give a little introduction about myself.

I'm Tom and in September I'll be 18 years. I lived in America for 12 years in the Beehive State (State of Utah) in a little town near Salt Lake City. After that me and my two brothers moved with my parents for almost 2 years to South Africa. In South Africa we met another family (Dutch) and my parents were offered a job in Holland. After the 2 years in South Africa, we then went to Europe to Amsterdam.

So that's the global story how I've got here.

As long as I can remember, I have the dream of becoming a pilot. In the US, it's a bit easier and cheaper to start flight training. There are no plans to go back to the US as long as my parents are having fun working here and living here. We got a residence permit for 5 years right now and as long as I know, we'll go back to the US when the term of 5 years has been reached.

Going back to my dream. In Europe doing flight training is a lot expensive. I absolutely don't want to stay in Europe for the rest of my life. No offense, but the whole attitude of people in Europe is really different as that of the American. I got some nice friends here, but the whole attitude is horrible. Being rude to your parents, having a great mouth at your teacher, not going to church, not giving about other people. In the US things are far better. Most people I know in the US are going to church, are showing respect to their parents and teachers and other persons, etc.

After summer, I'll go the my last grade of school and I have to make a decision what to do next. The whole economy in the US is now really terrible and don't want to start flight training now and having thousands of bucks in debt. I want a degree first and after that going back to the land of the free, home of the brave.

Studying in America is really expensive and you should apply for some scholarships. I'm an American outside the US, so applying for scholarships is really difficult, let's say getting a scholarships. The only way to get a degree cheaper and maybe faster, is to atend college in Holland. In my spare time, I'm playing the piano and sing. Some friends of mine have adviced me to attend the conservatory. As I don't wanna do anything with music in my careerpath, only in my spare time, I'm a little bit doubtful if that's a good idea.

I've searched on the Internet and I read something about aviation studies. I think this major is really good as preparation for starting flight training.

Can anyone tell me if it's given in Dutch or English. My Dutch is really awful with a obvious American accent. I have some difficulties with listening, but everyday talking with people helps, fortunately.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good path to achieve my goal to fly in America ?

Can anyone tell me if the costs of studying in the Netherlands are the same as that of Dutch origins ?

Is it possible to work during the study and achieve your PPL or whatever ?

How are the airlines in the US looking at a H.B.O ? Is it recognised as acceptable ?

By the way, does it matter what you'll be studying. I mean, if I could be accepted at the conservatory, I wouldn't say no. It's a chance of a life time :)

Well, that's it for today!

Well.. what a story! You even live in the same town I live in!
Just my 2 cents: expand your horizon and try and have a look at english taught bachelors on universities, if it's possible. Only do this when you really want it though, and not to just gap the years between staying here and returning to America.

As far as i remember, costs for studying are a bit higher for non-EU residents (Without EU Passports). The difference shouldn't be very big.
And to conclude: I don't think that it matters that much what you study, but that you have studied.

This should indicate cost differences:
What are the costs?
The tuition fee for the academic year 2008-2009 is € 1.565 (fulltime studies) for Dutch and EU students and € 6.500 (fulltime studies) for non-EU students. If you have a Dutch bank account, you can pay your tuition fees in ten instalments. The cost of books and readers is approximately between € 500 and € 1250 in the first year. Many of these books will be referred to throughout the programme, thus the cost will be lower in subsequent years.

The study recommended above seems to be a nice one too.

Last edited:
Hi all,

No offense, but the whole attitude of people in Europe is really different as that of the American. I got some nice friends here, but the whole attitude is horrible. Being rude to your parents, having a great mouth at your teacher, not going to church, not giving about other people. In the US things are far better. Most people I know in the US are going to church, are showing respect to their parents and teachers and other persons, etc.

haha, nice one !

Just like:

- All Americans are fat.
- All Americans have hundreds of guns.
- All Americans go to church.
- Every American loves George B.
- Every American loves war.
- Every American hates Muslims.
- Etc etc.

Europe is a lot bigger than only The Netherlands.
Try expanding Your horizon a little......

Monkey Man,

The lessons of Aviation Studies are given in dutch, but the project reports are written in english(exept the first project). Sometimes the project members are allowed to speak english only. Sometimes foreign students participate in the projects and that makes it necessary to speak english, howere the other lessons will still be given in dutch. During the study you will be able to work if you want, many students do it.

gr

Thanks for the responses. Is Aeronautical Engineering the same as aviation studies ? By the way, what's the difference between a H.B.O and a W.O ? Is H.B.O sort of a community college ? I know W.O is university or college, but in what American terms can you describe a H.B.O ?

@Erique, I just say what I see in my environment and from what I hear. What you say is completely bullshit. The war in Iraq would be hopefully over when Obama has been elected, let's hope it :) . And from what you say that all Americans are fat ? I can tell you that most beautiful women live in America, just watch some American movies :grijns: .

Never been in America, right ? I've seen a lot more of the world and people, so I know what I'm talking about. I don't know if some members of Airwork are living in America or have been living in America and I'm sure they'll tell you the same :)

Thanks for the responses. Is Aeronautical Engineering the same as aviation studies ? By the way, what's the difference between a H.B.O and a W.O ? Is H.B.O sort of a community college ? I know W.O is university or college, but in what American terms can you describe a H.B.O ?

@Erique, I just say what I see in my environment and from what I hear. What you say is completely bullshit. The war in Iraq would be hopefully over when Obama has been elected, let's hope it :) . And from what you say that all Americans are fat ? I can tell you that most beautiful women live in America, just watch some American movies :grijns: .

Never been in America, right ? I've seen a lot more of the world and people, so I know what I'm talking about. I don't know if some members of Airwork are living in America or have been living in America and I'm sure they'll tell you the same :)

Thanks for making my point !

Tom, you're absolutely right about the attitude in the Netherlands. Teenagers are being arrested more often, the criminal system is even worse than yours, criminals who murder someone got sometimes a chance to rehabilate, teenagers aren't showing respect, etc.

I have the same opinion as you have, because I am not Dutch anymore. I wrote myself out at the council and now I live in France. The attitude here is far better than the bloody Dutch, but there are some **** people, he ;)

You really should take your degree, because Major airlines in the US require a 4-year college degree. I don't know what the difference is between H.B.O and W.O actually. I can only advice you to do W.O, because when you'd like to attend university or college in the U.S, you're required to have a V.W.O diploma or an International Bacclaureaat (if I spelled it correct ;)). I think you're doing IB right, cause that's all in English. Why don't you look at Luchtvaart en Ruimtevaarttechniek (Aerospace Engineering) in Delft. They offer a English class your first year and the following years, everyone needs to do it in English ;)

Yes, of course. Everything is better in the U.S. :eek!:

*Rude mode on

How come?

- They always think they're better
- They always think they're right
- They're not direct, don't tell what they really think instead of acting.
- Conversations in general are shallow

Please, give me a break. Open your eyes and see things from the bright side, every nation has its positive and negative sides.

And don't come back with your "we're better" bullshit. Oh yeah, also a nice feature of the American people in general.

- Short-sightedness

But remember boys, attitude in America is always better, and we don't go to church so Europe is jack shit! Talking about short-sightedness:snore:

*Rude mode off

What makes The Netherlands so beautiful? Please, tell me...

Even though I'll try not to start talking down on the US citizens as well, I apologise in advance if I do.

Let me start off by saying that I have been to many parts of the US, different countries in Europe and also in South America. Just so you know that I "have" seen more then just my own culture.

Monkey Man, you made a post in the airwork bullitinboard asking a certain question to the dutch public. But you start off by talking down on the dutch culture (which may/may not be (partially) true). Then you say that it is a bad thing that we don't go to church.

All your complaints about the dutch and the dutch culture is irrelevant to your question. And it really only provokes people to judge your behaviour as a personal attack and then show you how "your" culture/people are seen from the dutch point of view. And all this doesn't really help you get good valuable answers to your question. As a matter of fact, people are more inclined to just not read on, since all you can do (in their view) is talk bad about the dutch. Why would they help YOU.

Anyway... just for future reference, when you need information from someone else, think before you act/write, and don't just start writing and giving your opinion on others, when you still need information from those people. You may say stuff that offends them without you knowing it (in this case it was pretty obvious by the way).

Sadly I can't help you on the question you initially had, but I thought I'd try to explain to you why you got several bad reactions.

Good luck

Well, my apologises for being rude against dutch people. It wasn't meant to be rude and I'd like to apologise myself. What you say about American people who think their better than any other nation, is that parents / relatives / school, etc are saying that America is one of the best places in the world to live and work. I'm proud being an American and I'm proud of my country. It was not meant to say that Dutch people are dumb or stupid, I only wanted to make clear why I wanted to leave people because of the attitude of most people.

But if anyone has to say something about this, than you can start a new topic or leave me a private message. Sorry for those who I've been rude to :)

Jongens, Monkey Man heeft gelijk. Nederland gaat langzaam naar de klote. Het immigratiebeleid is hier zo dun als ik weet niet wat. Criminaliteit neemt almaar toe. Scholing onder jongeren neemt alsmaar af. Meer schoolverlaters. Heel veel belasting betalen. Als je per ongeluk tegen iemand oploopt, kun je een grote bek terugverwachten. ''Feesten'' als luilak is gewoon vandalisme. Moordenaars kunnen na 20 jaar weer terug in de samenleving. Je kunt in Amsterdam nauwelijks ergens een parkeerplek vinden. Prostituees worden hier mishandeld en het wordt allemaal maar door de vingers gezien. Jongeren / kinderen hebben geen of nauwelijks respect tegen volwassenen (ouders, leraren, ouderen, etc). Er kunnen hier gewoon films worden gepubliceerd die een bepaalde minderheid afzet als extremistisch.

Amerika heeft ook zo zijn voors- en tegens, maar ik kan enigszins wel een reactie van een Amerikaans als deze verwachten over zijn beeld van Nederland. Tijdens die periode dat Wilders zijn film aankondigde, schaamde ik me wel dat ik Nederlander was. Ik ben geen Nederlander meer, althans zo voel ik me niet meer. Nederland gaat gewoon langzaam heel erg naar de klote en de burger is daar de dupe van.

Okee, on-topic!

Sorry, kan het niet laten...

Off topic:
Of hij nu gelijk heeft of niet, en of jij dat nu vind of niet, als je een vraag hebt aan nederlanders, is het niet verstandig om eerst heel nederland en de cultuur af te gaan kraken en zeggen hoe fantastisch amerika is.

Moet je voorstellen dat ik nu op een amerikaanse site ga vragen hoe ik het beste een PPL kan halen, maar dat ik begin met te zeggen hoe verrot de amerikaanse economie wel niet is met hun consumptiemaatschappij (krediet crisis rings a bell???) en dat wapenbezit verboden zou moeten worden, en dat nederland veel beter was.

Wat voor antwoorden denk je dat ik zou krijgen?

Als hij wil laten weten hoe waardeloos hij nederland vind, ga dan naar een ander forum, of maak een andere topic. Maar een vraag stellen en dan eerst shit uitspuigen is "not the way to go"

Monkey Man geeft een soort van introductiepost en waarom hij weer terug wil naar ''huis''. Het enige dat hij zegt is dat de houding en mentaliteit in Nederland op de dag van vandaag niet te harden is. Daar heeft hij gelijk in als je kijkt naar vooral in de omgeving van de Randstad. Je kunt hem dat niet kwalijk nemen, want ik zou hetzelfde hebben als ik nu weer naar Nederland zou gaan. Misschien komt het ook dat ik ben opgegroeid beneden de rivieren, dat ik zo denk.

Misschien ben ik wat te ouderwets (hoewel ik ''maar'' 26 ben). Waar zijn die goede oude tijden dat je met het hele gezin lekker voor de buis zat te kijken. Nee, nu zitten die kids in de kroeg zich vol te zuipen :eek:

Veel allochtone groeperingen denken volgens mij nou eenmaal negatief over Nederland, omdat Nederlanders zelf ook niet zo een hoge pet op hebben van allochtonen. Mijns inziens is dit te belachelijk voor woorden natuurlijk.

FD, kun je hier ook even jouw point of view neerzetten :D

Last edited:
Julien,

Ik woon in de Randstad en ja, het meerendeel gaat wel achteruit.
Het komt (denk ik) ook omdat er teveel mensen op een te klein oppervlakte wonen/leven. Neem daarbij het feit dat er grote verschillen zijn in opvatting over verantwoordelijkheid en "net" gedrag, en je krijgt al snel asociaal gedrag.

Maar zo heeft ieder land zijn/haar voordelen/nadelen.

Anyway.. mijn main point was dat je betere reacties krijgt op vragen als je de vragen en het verhaal er om heen neutraal houdt op het gebied van cultuur/geloof/politieke kleur/gevoel over oorlog etc.

Maar goed.... je kan ook zeggen dat je "er boven" moet staan en je niet moet laten verleiden tot het geven van negatieve commentaren :)

Oh ja, ik ben 31, dus ook ik ben al ouderwets

Monkey Man geeft een soort van introductiepost en waarom hij weer terug wil naar ''huis''. Het enige dat hij zegt is dat de houding en mentaliteit in Nederland op de dag van vandaag niet te harden is. Daar heeft hij gelijk in als je kijkt naar vooral in de omgeving van de Randstad. Je kunt hem dat niet kwalijk nemen, want ik zou hetzelfde hebben als ik nu weer naar Nederland zou gaan. Misschien komt het ook dat ik ben opgegroeid beneden de rivieren, dat ik zo denk.

Misschien ben ik wat te ouderwets (hoewel ik ''maar'' 26 ben). Waar zijn die goede oude tijden dat je met het hele gezin lekker voor de buis zat te kijken. Nee, nu zitten die kids in de kroeg zich vol te zuipen :eek:

FD, kun je hier ook even jouw point of view neerzetten :D

Heren, ik kan jullie vertellen: Jullie zijn zeker niet ouderwets.
Jullie hebben compleet gelijk wat betreft de huidige 'attitude' van de jeugd. Zelf ben ik 17 maar ik erger me mateloos aan de wijze waarop sommige medeleerlingen zich uiten en/of gedragen. Soms vind ik het zelfs niet kunnen. En dan is dit nog 'maar' het Gooi, en tevens op een school die over het algemeen zeer goed te boek staat. Ik kan me soms niet voorstellen hoe het in bijvoorbeeld Amsterdam zou zijn op een VMBO-school(No disrespect).

Zelf blijf ik gewoon netjes , natuurlijk soms heb je het gevoel van: Waar is hij of zij(leraar/lerares) mee bezig!? Maar dit hoor je naar mijn mening gewoon binnen te houden of persoonlijk aan te kaarten. Wat er nu soms gebeurt is dat er wordt gescholden , leraren worden voor gek gezet etc.

Ook wat betreft het zuipen: Tsjaa.. Wat kan ik daar over zeggen. Ik drink zelf (tot nog toe) niet, maar als ik kijk hoeveel leeftijdsgenoten soms drinken....:|
Het kwam laatst zover dat een 15-jarige dronken op straat lag en met de politie mee werd genomen en in een dronkenmanscel werd gezet. Hij heeft hier slechts twee kleine boetes voor gekregen.

Naar mijn mening zijn er een paar hoofdoorzaken voor de huidige problematiek:
  • Acceptatie van overmatig drinken op jonge leeftijd
  • Tekort aan bekwame leraren (vooral op de lagere onderwijsinstellingen)
  • Gebrek aan respect voor ouders, authoriteiten etc.
  • Problemen met bepaalde bevolkingsgroepen(de redenen hiervoor zijn weer talrijk, er is wel een ding waarvan ik vind dat het moet worden gezegd: Het heeft NIETS met religie te maken)

Vraag is: waar stopt dit? Wat gebeurt er als de huidige generatie het overneemt.....?

Back On topic:

Tom, it would be better if we knew the type of education you are doing at the moment, as you cannot enter WO without the right pre-education.(called VWO)
If you're interested, i can make a mini-schematic about the dutch educational system, so you can compare it to the American system

Last edited:

The difference between HBO and WO is that with HBO, you get a Bachelor degree in four years, and with WO, you get a Masters degree in five years (three years Bachelor and then two years Master)

Attitude is inderdaad gewoon aan het verslechteren, het enige waar ik krullende tenen van krijg is dat "wij zijn altijd beter" gedrag.

Maargoed, dat even terzijde. Ik vind dat het in Nederland ook ernstig slecht gesteld is met het gedrag in het algemeen. We moeten alleen niet vergeten dat we ook enorm beïnvloed worden door de media. Het "vroeger was alles beter" verhaal is natuurlijk ook klinkklare onzin. Tegenwoordig hebben we 300 verschillende soorten nieuwszenders inclusief het rijke medium genaamd het internet. Het is natuurlijk helemaal geweldig dat we continu voorzien zijn van het hotste stukje nieuws op het moment, maar de invloed op je mening wordt tevens groter. Het is werkelijk niet zo dat alle jongeren overmatig drank nuttigen en op school ontsporen. Dit is nog steeds een klein percentage van de grote massa. Ik ben wel van mening dat het percentage vergeleken met vroeger nu vele malen groter is.

Dit heeft denk ik grotendeels te maken met de sturing door de ouders. Tegenwoordig werken veel ouders allebei en is er nagenoeg geen tijd meer over voor het kind. Kom nu ook niet aan met "maar bij mij werkt het allemaal perfect" verhaal, want dat is nu juist het probleem. Iedereen denkt maar dat de eigen popjes het perfect doen op school en geen druppel alcohol drinken, terwijl het kind zich ieder weekend volgiet en op school zich als een beest gedraagd, onder het genot van genoeg ADHD pilletjes om het kind thuis maar rustig te houden. Men wil steeds royaler leven en dit gaat naar mijn mening steeds vaker ten koste van het kind.

Ook op school is er geen echte sturing meer. Zoals PanPanPan zegt; een tekort aan vakbekwame leraren. Alles wordt maar geslikt van de jeugd met als gevolg dat het iedere keer een graad erger wordt.

Sociale controle? Ik weet niet wat daar mee gebeurd is maar iedereen is schijnbaar zo druk bezig dat we alleen maar met onszelf bezig zijn.

Tenslotte wil ik even zeggen dat we onszelf niet alles door de media moeten laten aanpraten maar gewoon zelf op onderzoek uit gaan.

tip: www.cbs.nl

Hey Julien. Als je het niet naar je zin hebt, ga dan fijn ff lekker op het franse Airworkerboard kijken. Tuurlijk is niet alles super in Nederland, maar wat een onzin dat het in Amerika beter is. Amerika is nog steeds het land met de grootste Drugs-consumptie, meeste vuurwapen-misbruik, en definitief de ergste oorlogsmisdadigers (ik bedoel niet de soldaten, maar Bush en Cheney).

en dat alles... In the name of God. Dus ga allemaal maar weer lekker in de Kerk zitten, Bush regelt het allemaal wel.

Oogjes dicht, en snaveltjes toe.

Misschien zijn onze scholen niet meer de beste, maar dat geld voor de meeste landen. Ondertussen staan we bij verschillende onderzoeken nog gewoon bij de betere 10%, iets wat Amerika niet kan zeggen.

Back