PPL Theory in English - in The Netherlands?

mattblack

Hi all,

I’m new to flying, and I’m trying to work towards obtaining my PPL. However, I’m having difficulties as an Englishman in the Netherlands.

There are no theory courses I can take in English, even though to be a pilot you must speak English. I’m therefore doing everything self-study (Which is fine, I work well on my own).

However, my problem is with the test. Where can I do the theory test in English? My flying club doesn’t think it’s possible to do and think that I may have to go all the way back to England – just to do my theory test?

Is this right? Or is there any way I can do my test in English in Holland?

Thanks in advance,
~Matt

hey mattblack,
in my opinion it's possible to do it in English. I finished my PPL theory last february. But i'm not sure if it is possible to choose either English or Dutch.
you can mail IVW they know the answer for sure, or otherwise CBR.
you can find them on www.ivw.nl or www.cbr.nl

hope this wil help you,

good luck with your exams!

regards
BCM

The thing is, if you would do the exams in the UK, the results might not (or will not) be accepted by the IVW. This would mean you will also have to take your practical exam in the UK, and must first receive your CAA-JAA licence. Or MAYBE you could find a CAA-examiner in the Netherlands, but still, you would first receive a CAA-licence.

This would also complicate the annual renewal-procedure and all.

However, if you have a basic understanding of Dutch, and practice a lot with the PPL-exam-collections (which should be available, as far as I know) you should be able to complete the exams in Dutch.

Hi variantie,

Is the Dutch exam not in complex technical aviation-speak Dutch? Do you think there would be someone available to translate a question during the test if needed?

To be honest, I've only just started so it's going to be another year by the time I take my test... en ik hoop dat mijn nederlands beter worden in de loop van de tijd :-)

What is CAA-JAA? I thought that I only needed a medical test, theory PPL and Practical PPL... am I mistaken? :-S

It's so complicated - but I'm determined :-)

Thanks for all your help so far.

~Matt

Hi variantie,

Is the Dutch exam not in complex technical aviation-speak Dutch? Do you think there would be someone available to translate a question during the test if needed?

To be honest, I've only just started so it's going to be another year by the time I take my test... en ik hoop dat mijn nederlands beter worden in de loop van de tijd :-)

What is CAA-JAA? I thought that I only needed a medical test, theory PPL and Practical PPL... am I mistaken? :-S

It's so complicated - but I'm determined :-)

Thanks for all your help so far.

~Matt

-1 Yes, compared to reading a newspaper you are right. But the PPL-theory itself is of an acceptable level, with a little practice. If you would practice those PPL-exams out of the catalogue, you will soon know enough of the words to make a good impression at the exam. If you have a year and you take your time, it will not pose a problem. Of course, if they would administer the test in English, all the better!
I don't think there will be someone available during the test. But I did not take the test at the CBR, some of the others might know more about that.

-2 CAA would be the Civil Aviation Authority of the UK (IVW in the Netherlands). These would be the people you would work with if you would take your test in the UK. However, like I said, you would then need to complete all exams (practical and theory) with CAA-examiners and complete all paperwork within the UK.

-3 JAA are the Joint Aviation Authorities of Europe. If you receive a PPL-licence, it will be under JAA-regulation nowadays. You should be able to convert your licence between the UK and the Netherlands. For details you must refer to the JAR (R = regulations) concering a transfer-of-state.

I refer to their licence as the CAA-JAA, as compared to our NL-JAA, or (for me personally: ) the DL-JAA (Germany). Although they are supposed to use the same regulations, local (nation-wide) exceptions are still present.

It might be easier to learn Dutch.. ;)

The technical terms are not that complicated, and about half of them are in English to begin with. If you would find problems, you can post those words here, and be assured, within one day there will be so much information, you wouldn't know which word you asked in the first place! :D

Most importantly: Have fun..

Laatst bewerkt:
What a great response, and fast too – many thanks.

Where can I see some practice exams? I’m sure they’re available online these days.

CAA/IVW…. I get it now  Sorry you must think I’m stupid haha.

Currently waiting for email replies from IVW and the CBR. Will post them when I have them.

Definitely sounds like it’s going to be easier to learn Dutch. I’m already trying. I’ve been here for nearly 12 months and I’ve picked up a lot, but it’s a very hard language. I have another 10 lessons left at college too. If only Dutch TV was a little more interesting, I’d pick it up much quicker ;-)

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
~Matt

Oh 1 more thing - will I need Dutch citizenship then? I can't get dual-nationality as I already have 1 EU passport.

What a great response, and fast too – many thanks.

Where can I see some practice exams? I’m sure they’re available online these days.

CAA/IVW…. I get it now  Sorry you must think I’m stupid haha.

Currently waiting for email replies from IVW and the CBR. Will post them when I have them.

Definitely sounds like it’s going to be easier to learn Dutch. I’m already trying. I’ve been here for nearly 12 months and I’ve picked up a lot, but it’s a very hard language. I have another 10 lessons left at college too. If only Dutch TV was a little more interesting, I’d pick it up much quicker ;-)

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
~Matt

- With those examns, you'll have to ask some of the others here; There are a few who are doing their Dutch PPL-exams. If nothing else works, just find a Flightschool in your area (assuming you don't already have one for your flight-training?) They should be able to get them for you. But then again, they might be online somewhere too..

CAA = IVW; Yes, you've got it!

The thing is: Compared to German television, Dutch television does have some interesting shows. They are usually in English, tough... :( Discovery/National Geographic)

Oh 1 more thing - will I need Dutch citizenship then? I can't get dual-nationality as I already have 1 EU passport.

No, I don't think so. As far as I know the place you live is important, not your citizenship. So if you are registred in the Netherlands, and have proof, that should be enough (together with your passport, that is.) But that would also be a question for the CBR.

yea all I watch is Nat Geo/Discovery and Comedy Central (And of course BBCs). Ned1-3, RTLs etc.... boorrring. lol, every evening it's just a selection of talk-shows! No comedy programmes, etc.

Oh well I'm getting there, I'll be fluent in 5 years :-) Maybe longer.

Re the club - I'm in the process of joining the one at Eindhoven Airport. Just had 2 lessons (proeflessen) and really enjoyed myself. I've got the buzz now :-)

Cheers
~Matt

mattblack,
about the ppl exams, you can find several questions on the internet.. we have a website www.stickingmikes.nl (don't know if it is allowed to post this adres here but oke) we have 2 links to ppl exam questions. on airwork.nl you can also find a lot of questions buttttt they are all in dutch.

i think the Netherlands should do the ppl exam totally in English.. the dutch language in aviation is verry difficult to understand in sometimes.. they use strange translations.. orr not verry strange but unusual because during the practical course you will hear those therms only in English. but allright it's the Netherlands so we have to do it the way they want.

i hope you will get a quick response from ivw!

good luck

BCM

i think the Netherlands should do the ppl exam totally in English.. the dutch language in aviation is verry difficult to understand in sometimes

The same thing was true for the ATPL theory exams, sometimes you had to translate it to English to understand what they were talking about :D
I think it's a good thing they're now all standard in English.
I would guess it wouldn't be a problem to get PPL exams in English, but who can answer this question better than IVW itself? ;)

Where can I see some practice exams?

IVW's website ("voorbeeldexamen"): http://www.ivw.nl/onderwerpen/lucht...loten_examens/theorieexamensluchtvarende.aspx

Might be easier for you to take flight training in the UK though.

They are more flexible there and allow you to take the exams at a local flight school.
In NL the exams are administered centrally, and if you have problems with the language and fail a subject, you may have to wait months before the next opportunity.

Laatst bewerkt:
i dont want to keep having to go back to the UK for renewals though, new medical exams etc.

Mind you - I could swap my UK PPL for a Dutch one! Aaaah theres a thought.

I've just realised also that I will have to do an ENGLISH TEST to get my PPL here, how funny? :-)

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look later because I'm working at the moment (Yea Sunday I know, ah well).

Thanks
Matt

Hiya Matt,

Here's a cloggie, living on the Island. People who are native English speakers don't have to be tested for their English proficiency. it is possible to obtain a PPL in the U.K. and get the state of issue changed to The Netherlands, if it isn't possible to do the exams in English.

thanks very much, im seriously considering it.

Shame though, that I have to go through all this. It's hard trying to hold down a full time job whilst needing to do theory lessons, exams etc - especially if I have to go abroad.

Hey where in Manchester are you? I was brought up in Littleborough ('tutha side of Rochdale). What a dump it was lol, much happier now in Veldhoven. Why are you over there? Were you kicked out of Nederland for commiting a crime or something? You must have been bad to be living on the island now. ;-)

i dont want to keep having to go back to the UK for renewals though, new medical exams etc.

The main requirement is that you complete your flight training (including all theory exams + skills test) in the UK, or at one of the JAA schools in the USA that operate under the UK rules.

I hold a Dutch medical and UK JAA PPL.
Those are interchangeable.

There are schools here that advertise they can do the revalidation, e.g. http://www.singlesandtwins.nl/page161
But haven't got to that point yet, so can't speak from experience.

haha you poor thing. Ahh it's not too bad, try Salford or Rochdale! Or even Blackpool - nightmare place.

Hey can you post me some brown sauce? And vinegar (eating kind!), real tea-bags (not them weak pathetic dutch kind that just make water with a smell lol), salt n vinegar crisps, OXO cubes and fat-chips? :-) Oh and not to forget Fish chips peas and gravy (Together!) from a real chippy. Haha Only joking, being away makes them things more special when i go back home.

Terug
Bovenaan