Pilot Shortage Canada

The same old story

The same old story

This is the same "Pilot Shortage" story I've been hearing over and over again.

It's not correct.

There is a shortage of experienced Type Rated Captains - there's plenty of low time Pilots looking for work.

Actually my dear 19 it looks like you have been out of town for a while. There are plenty of openings for young grasshoppers out there in "poor mans United States" ;) up north even at the bottom of the freaking barrel. Air Canada Jazz, all metro operators up north and all LCC's, sh*t even Air Canada is hurting for qualified people.

No wonder as they are offering C-scale T&C's at the moment. It is kinna pathetic they would rather hire foreigners instead of offering better contracts. On the other hand, what else is new in Airline lane.

I say it's pay back time. You got time and a type, let 'm show you the money! This ain't no hobby.

FD

(for all Dutchies out there; Canadian women dig European accents. So get ur but over there and you will be a junior f/o at AC before you can blink ur eyes.)

Actually my dear 19 it looks like you have been out of town for a while. There are plenty of openings for young grasshoppers out there in "poor mans United States" ;) up north even at the bottom of the freaking barrel. Air Canada Jazz, all metro operators up north and all LCC's, sh*t even Air Canada is hurting for qualified people.

I'm from there and if things were really as good as you say I'd be working there as it's "home".

There's a reason why you see so many Canadian Expat Pilots.

I know people at both Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz - I couldn't afford to work at the latter. There is no shortage of people willing to work for these companies

Most of the larger companies have minimum hour requirements that are higher than for jobs in the EU.

Not forgetting the costs of Licence conversion.

I stand by my original post.

Laatst bewerkt:
I know you are from there, as such I thought you would agree with me there being plenty of jobs available at the bottom of the barrel up North. It wasn't to long ago I was sharing a van in LA with a senior AC capt. telling me that most new hires turned out being no shows for class. Most Canadian pilots rather go abroad for a real job, instead of putting up with BS C-scale salaries.

FD

PS: Cost of license conversion ain't that bad at all. Especially if you are in the possession of a FAA ATP as the Canadian and American aviation authorities finally agreed on a mutual agreement accepting each others licenses. (80 bucks and I believe a 20/40 questions written exam is all it takes these days as of 01/2008)

Entry Level

Entry Level

For any job you still need the Licence - a costly procedure.

Lots of these jobs are seasonal (eg:- floats). There is always a lot of hiring around this time of year - lot of layoffs in October.

You are competing against plenty of others with the Licences and low hours.

A lot of companies have very restrictive insurance requirements. Plenty of fly-by-night operators around as well.

Salaries have historically been low - no shortage of people willing to fly at any price. Sound familiar?

Ya, way to familiar. Then again, I was born way to late. What else is new.

FD

Wow, I have to admit I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of my posts while intoxicated !

Terug
Bovenaan