Coco's zijn overrated

Een tripje van ruim 8000 mijl is niet bepaald standaard voor een single-engine piston kistje. Daar zal een heeeeele grote ferry tank in moeten zitten. En iemand met een enorme blaas :eek: , met een gangetje van 180kts ben je even onderweg.

Ik denk dat ik iets mis?
Zoals SCSIRob al schreef, ruim 7000 NM vliegen met een SEP, zelfs zo'n rappe als een Lancair IV is een hele prestatie, temeer - vandaar de titel - als je het alleen doet met een kruissnelheid van slechts 180-200 kts.

Het lijkt erop dat hem dat het absolute afstandrecord in klasse C1D oplevert (1750-3000 kg), ben benieuwd of hij ook het 1000-1750 kg record straks nog wat strakker gaat zetten, dat staat immers al een halve eeuw..

@ Rob, afhankelijk van wie je gelooft is hij gestart met 400-450 gallons, moet toch genoeg zijn voor die IO-550 :1855:

With midnight just past, and while sitting safe and comfortable at my desk with a German Shepherd snoring away at my feet, I must admit to some serious jealousy over the adventure that is taking place a few thousand miles to the West.

Yesterday, an intrepid aviator by the name of Bill Harrelson (shown here in his Lancair 320... built previously) departed Guam in a Lancair IV experimental that he crafted, himself, in order to seek a number of adventures. The 7000 mile journey is but a test flight for an even grander journey he has in mind and at the moment, he is cruising safely, doing about 200kts at a little over 15000 feet with the intention of making Jacksonville, Fl, later today.

Pilot and ANN reader Jeff Edwards sent me some details about this flight and the amazing guy who has been aloft for over a day... and still half a day ahead of him.

"Captain Bill Harrelson, a Lancair builder and LOBO member, is attempting a 7000+ nm distance record flight for single engine land weight class (C, C-1, d, I (Internal Combustion)) today from Guam to Jacksonville, FL-- hopefully arriving at Jacksonville International tomorrow at 1430-1500L. Bill, a retired American captain and his wife Sue (retired United captain) are no strangers to long distance endurance flying having built and then flown a Lancair 320 to Europe. Bill's purpose built Lancair IV with 350 gallons of internal fuel departed Dogwood Airpark earlier this week stopping at Gus Grissom in Indiana, Southern California, Honolulu, HI before flying to Guam on Wednesday. It took Bill 8 years to build his Lancair IV N6ZQ completing it in 2012. The winds are not being kind to Bill today and he must reroute over the states due to weather tomorrow, but Sue, his CapCom is hopeful he will break the distance record.

Bill is planning a circumpolar record attempt in March or October this year. His flight plan departs Bangor, ME, Recife, Brazil, Punta Arena, Chile, over the South Pole to New Zealand, on to Honolulu, Fairbanks and back to Bangor. Bill plans to do the legs back to back with minimal enroute time at his stops- shattering the old record. Bill and Sue have completed three homebuilt aircraft including Sue's Rans."

ANN E-I-C Note: With all the difficulties we've had to report of late, I just thought you'd like to know that one of the best of us is proving why aviation is such an extraordinary pastime... and why the people in it are often just as amazing... and why, with all we face, that this is a community, industry, and undertaking worth fighting for and saving. And when I see endeavours like this, I am all the more convinced that we can do so. --- Jim Campbell, ANN CEO-Editor-In-Chief
http://www.aero-news.net/subscribe.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=fde92b4a-3ef8-466c-9b15-208acf4d30c7

@ Rob, afhankelijk van wie je gelooft is hij gestart met 400-450 gallons, moet toch genoeg zijn voor die IO-550 :1855:

Dat vraag ik me af.. Max range met reserves is volgens de specs 1550sm. Als dat gebaseerd is op de 90 Gallon tanks is dan kom je met 450 Gallon een eind (5x range). Als de fabrieksrange op 110 Gallon tanks gebaseerd is kom je wat tekort denk ik, al heb je de reserves natuurlijk geen 4 keer nodig.

Ik weet niet hoeveel invloed de jetstream heeft op die hoogte, zou tailwind voldoende zijn om het 'gat' op te vangen? Dat mag iemand met meer dan RPL uitrekenen :biertje:

Dat vraag ik me af.. Max range met reserves is volgens de specs 1550sm. Als dat gebaseerd is op de 90 Gallon tanks is dan kom je met 450 Gallon een eind (5x range). Als de fabrieksrange op 110 Gallon tanks gebaseerd is kom je wat tekort denk ik, al heb je de reserves natuurlijk geen 4 keer nodig.
Dat is op FL270. Op zijn maximale hoogte (hij heeft geen drukcabine ingebouwd, pulse demand MH, dus max FL180) was dat fors minder. Waarom hij niet met masker vliegt (dan is tot FL250 of 290 legaal) is mij ook een raadsel, maar dat kost hem dus een aanzienlijk deel van zijn prestaties. De flessen O2 van voldoende formaat zijn in ieder geval leverbaar.
Ik weet niet hoeveel invloed de jetstream heeft op die hoogte, zou tailwind voldoende zijn om het 'gat' op te vangen? Dat mag iemand met meer dan RPL uitrekenen :biertje:
Effectief ongeveer nul op deze trip gezien het snelheids-grafiekje.

The Lancair IV falls into class C1d in the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale classification system. (landplane, internal combustion powered, 1500-3000 kg)
Engine: Barrett IO-550 non-turbo, 10:1 pistons, oversized oil sump, GAMI injectors, mags.
My official take off weight was 4,449 lbs (2017.6 kg).
Total fuel on board at engine start: 361 gallons.
Total fuel on board at engine shutdown: 6 gallons
Fuel burned 355 gallons.
Oil quantity on engine start: 14 quarts
Oil added: 0 zero
Oil quantity on landing back home in Virginia: 14 quarts
Total oil consumption: ZERO (Thank you Allen Barrett & crew)
Great circle distance between PGUM and KJAX 13,059 km, 7,051 nm, 8,114 sm.
Time aloft: 38:29
Average fuel consumption: 9.2 gph. Cruise ranged from 11 gph heavy to 8 gph light.
Average ground speed: 183 knots.
Average cruise TAS: 180 knots

http://www.aero-news.net/subscribe.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=ad9e1179-cbac-4deb-b845-6b978193ceca

Back