Aircraft Shares around Amsterdam

Flying Dane

Hi all,

I’m a Danish PLL(A) holder soon moving to Amsterdam. After searching the internet it seems like the options around aircraft shares are rather limited, so trying my luck on this forum to gain more information and insights.
I have had my license since 2004 with approx. 250hrs total, mainly on Piper 28, Cessna 172/182. For the last 7 years I have been living and working in countries with little to no flying options, so looking to get back into the saddle once I move to Amsterdam.

As for the plane preference, I am looking for a 4-6 seater single-engine that is capable of longer trips (3+ hrs non-stop with 2-3 passengers). While most trips would probably be day trips around Benelux and Germany, I am also planning to do multi-day trips to visit family and friends scattered around Europe.
Since I am aiming at taking the CB Instrument Rating in 2021, it would need to be IFR equipped/certified and preferably with WAAS GPS and Autopilot, however this is not a must at this point.
I believe that EHLE (Lelystad) would be an ideal location given its recent Instrument approach options as well as proximity to Amsterdam, but happy to hear if anyone has other suggestions.

I have checked Diamond Flyers out and will definitely give that a closer look once I am in Netherlands - however, I am more looking for a shared airplane with a few passionate co-owners where you have the benefits of sharing some of the costs while also having the luxury of blocking the airplane for multiple days and go traveling.

I hope some of you in here can shed more light on whether this is an impossible dream or feasible option - happy landings!

/Christian

I have checked Diamond Flyers out and will definitely give that a closer look once I am in Netherlands - however, I am more looking for a shared airplane with a few passionate co-owners where you have the benefits of sharing some of the costs while also having the luxury of blocking the airplane for multiple days and go traveling.

Hi Christian,

I'm flying with the Diamond Flyers. The concept allows you to block an aircraft for four blocks (9-13, 13-17, 17-21). If you take an evening block and the next morning block, you can stay away for the night. On top of that, you can block for a multi-day flight of three days once per year. If you combine that with four regular blocks, you can fly for almost 4,5 days. Some people buy two shares, so that they can fly twice as long. In order to buy a share, you should find someone to sell his. I know there are some shares available at the moment. Our president should know more. His phone number is on the web site.

I heard there is also a similar group at Lelystad Airport that owns two Cirrus planes with six pilots. It seems to me that that must be much more expensive and that the number of shares available must be much lower. I don't have contact details for them.

Hey!

Thanks a lot for your insights - much appreciated! The approach with multi-day bookings at Diamond Flyers sounds like it could work out, despite the limitation of once per year. I'll definitely check out any available shares once I know more about my relocation to Amsterdam.
The Cirrus group also sounds quite interesting. If you happen to get any contact details at some point, I would appreciate it if you could share them.
Again, thanks for your help - happy landings and stay safe!

-Christian

We have a member that put up a half share in a Mooney up for sale and a member with a DA40 share for sale.
I can’t post links from my phone but it’s a little further down in “Prive Piloten”

Hi Europe-American,

Thanks a lot for chiming in. I have indeed seen those two postings, but it seems like they are both sold by now.
I'll keep my eyes out for other offers that may come through.

-Christian

Welcome to Holland! Indeed, the Mooney is sold entirely and is now leading a happy life in Germany. I was not able to find any partners in owning that marvelous machine and I too am looking for alternatives now, and that is not so easy if you want to do more with an aircraf than just use it locally for a few hours.

Thanks a lot, Bobo! I watched some of your YT videos and read your blog (thanks, Google Translate) and the Mooney looked like a great airplane.

I’m very interested in hearing what you manage to find out with regards to your next airplane. Like you, I’m interested in something that offers the flexibility of longer multi-day trips around Europe.
Buying a share in an airplane that gives you this flexibility is pretty accessible and somewhat affordable back in Denmark, but it seems a bit more limited in the Netherlands which is a shame. I’m hoping to gain more info on the potential Cirrus group in Lelystad to see if that could be a match.

The Cirri at EHLE are N reg, so for me that is not very attractive. Ownership with two to four likeminded persons of a nice M20J, C177RG, Arrow or other aircraft that makes some decent speed and is IFR certified seems the way forward.

I am a 10 year share participant with the DA40 Flyers in Lelystad, as mentioned above here, and I am very content with the concept. For me, the 21 flyers to 1 airplane ratio (with 3 airplanes available in the pool) works out really well. Obviously there is a trade-off to make: if your goal is to fly multi-day trips multiple times a year, that is no longer feasible with this flyer:airplane ratio, so you would be going more towards Bobo's model with 4 pilots to a plane. But the fixed costs (hangar + insurance + inspections) per participant I assume would be eye-watering :). That being said, I would love to understand the financials of Boboa bit better. What are we talking about, back-of-the-envelope?

Around 30k a year plus/minus 5k. Insurance was 2k, hangar 4k, Jepp 1k, annual inspection/maintenance 6k or (way) more. CAMO, radio etc 1.5k and I’m prob99 forgetting something. A bit much for a hobby I only really enjoy in a family of four.

I rent a Cardinal RG now with exclusive access more or less. It is too expensive and lacks good IFR avionics, but I can come and go as I please, and that is worth something too. This afternoon the brakes were INOP, so instead of costing me money, I just called the owner.

Shazeja, I bet you're right that the costs will be eye-watering, but might be "worth it" when it comes to enjoy the freedom of flying your own airplane for longer. :)
Back in Denmark, I previously owned an 8th of a 1965 Piper PA28-180 where each week of the year was allocated to the members (Member A had week#1, Member B, week#2 etc.) Whenever you wanted to use the plane on someone else's week you just asked for permission and booked it in a shared calendar, similarly to rental. No minimum flight hours, overnight possible and all the perks of having your own airplane. If you wanted to go for multiple days or even a whole week, you could try and switch weeks with the "owner" of that particular week. This system worked perfectly and allowed for many great trips to visit family and friends for longer. The share price was EUR 8k, monthly fixed costs 140 and hourly rate 150 - practically a dream scenario and not a unique find in Denmark.

Bobo, sounds like an okay solution with the 177RG for now - not having to pay the bill, I'm sure makes up for some of the quirks and limitations; :)
I was spoilt with having a similar access to a privately owned Cessna 182T (G1000, Oxygen, Turbo, the works!) when I lived in Poland back in 2016. An absolute beuaty!
If I could get my hands on a similar arrangement of renting a privately owned plane (legal obviously) out of Lelystad or potentially Teuge, I would do it in a heartbeat. If anyone knows of something like that, I'm all ears. By the way, inspired by your blog, I reached out to Special Air Services to inquire about the CBIR. From what I could read in your blog you were satisfied with their training, right?

I apologize if I come off as a cross between naïve, unknowing and arrogant when it comes to the options of flying in the Netherlands - I am still scouting and learning, so hoping the optimal solution will show up sooner or later. :) I am not ruling out Diamond Flyers just yet, but want to exhaust all options of something fitting my needs/dreams/budget as closely as possible.

If I could get my hands on a similar arrangement of renting a privately owned plane (legal obviously) out of Lelystad or potentially Teuge, I would do it in a heartbeat. If anyone knows of something like that, I'm all ears.

You could take a look at the PH-FLE (https://www.flevo-air.nl/). It's a privately owned C172 based in Lelystad. The site is in Dutch, but there is a contact form at the home page. The site says you can rent for a weekend or a midweek if you are a regular customer.

By the way, inspired by your blog, I reached out to Special Air Services to inquire about the CBIR. From what I could read in your blog you were satisfied with their training, right?

Yes, they run a professional ATO, but Teuge is uncontrolled. I have a soft spot for Teuge and it is closest to my home. Flying to EHRD or EHGG from Teuge to shoot approaches in a C172 does take a while and will add up in time (and cost).

I'm also looking around to find/buy a share for similar 4-6 seater SEP planes.. We have the same interests so I will be following this thread as well..

PPP, thanks a lot - I have indeed looked at Flevo Air's C172 and put it on my shortlist.

Bobo, thanks for the insights, that makes sense. I'm currently chatting with Vliegclub Rotterdam since it might make more sense to do it out of a controlled IFR airport, as you rightly point out, despite the slightly longer commute. They also have a simulator, which would means less weather-related cancellations.

RiveN, interesting - it seems like there might be some interests to explore this further. I will admit that I might have been out a bit too early as I'm still not even in Netherlands and probably will prioritize getting the CBIR in 2021 before looking to secure a stable share/ownership/rental, but let's definitely keep in touch. I'm always interested in brainstorming what an ideal solution could look like and whether we are looking for the same thing/costs/etc. I'm currently quite hooked on a Piper Turbo Arrow which would give you 130+ kts, long range and the ability to fly FL120+ (with supplemental oxygen) when weather/water demands it. What would be your preferred home base? I'm leaning towards EHLE due to the proximity to AMS, but also weary of the lack of Instrument approaches at the moment and what that would look like in a year from now.

/Christian

I’ll be following this thread with interest. Where were you all two months ago?! ????

RiveN, interesting - .. What would be your preferred home base? I'm leaning towards EHLE due to the proximity to AMS, but also weary of the lack of Instrument approaches at the moment and what that would look like in a year from now.

/Christian

I fly regularly out of EHHV.. so anything close to an hour away or so from Utrecht is good for me..

Currently time building when I can.. when time and weather allow it..

Bobo; I saw your Mooney post too late, else I would have probably contacted you about the share. But the Mooney was already sold.

UPDATE - OCTOBER 2022

We're a group of 3 people looking for an extra shareholder on a beautiful Piper Turbo Arrow IV (PA28-28RT-201T) based in EHLE. It has a modern glasscockpit (G3X, GTN650s) and digital autopilot (GFC500) which was retrofitted in 2020. The engine has flown ~165hrs since the last overhaul and the aircraft total time is a mere ~1,800hrs. If you are interested in knowing more about share opportunities, please feel free to contact me via this forum or on +31 6 89927028. If you prefer Dutch, please contact Silvain on +31 6 23362027. More info about the airplane can be found on https://pekaviation.com.

/Christian

Back