JAA ATPL conversie

FMC overheat

Hooie allemal,
Please excuse me for writing in English but I only know a couple of words in dutch :passed:
I am interested to get a FULL ATPL JAR license.
I currently hold an ICAO CPL and doing theoretical ATPL, type rated on B737 with 2800h TT and 2400h B737.
From what I understand so far, I can go take the exams without having to undertake ground training since I have more than 1500 hours on Multi-crew JAR25 aircraft but the question is
-That credit is given to ATPL holders but I currently hold a CPL (say frozen ATPL if I finish theoretical ICAO ATPL by the end of this year) . Do I qualify ?
-In case I have to convert to a JAA CPL no credit is given for hours flown and according to Dutch CAA I need to do ground training before taking the 14 exams.
-To convert an ICAO CPL to a JAA ATPL you will need 1500 hours flight time including:
* 500 hours on multi-pilot aircraft,
* 250 hours pilot in command,
* 200 hours cross country,
* 75 hours instrument time and
* 30 hours night.
I still miss 80 hours PIC to qualify though.
It's really a complicated process to convert to JAA.
Anybody tried doing distance learning at Orbit groundschool in Arnhem ?
How about the books they use ? Is it the same as Bristol ? what else do you get in the 3900 euros package for distance learning?
Can you recommand other schools for JAA ATPL ?

Danke Uw well !
Tot Ziens !:rt:

Hi,

Not sure if I understand you correctly but if all you miss are 80 hours PIC to convert your CPL to JAA ATPL without theory examinations why don't you go to USA for a week or two and fly them in Cessna 150? 80 x $50 = $4000 / 1.4 = EUR 2857,- cheaper and easier than doing ground school.

Orbit books are good, exactly the same as from Bristol. Orbit is good in a way they give you all the freedom to pace your study your own way. The brushups are not all too usefull, but that depends on which instructor you get. All in all the price you pay is mainly for the books and that's kind of the evil you have to put up with to get your theory ATPL ;-)

It always helps to call JAA or make an appointment with them so that can advise you on what's best in your situation.

Cheers :airforce:

Hello FMC Overheat,

Nice Nickname, welcome to the forum. I would strongly recommend giving the CAA a call and talking to them. The reason for this is that your question is quite complicated and they need to give their approval at the end of the day.

You can only call them between 900 and 1200, however they do give valid advice. With regards to PIC. Under JAR-FCL there is a provision for pilots who are flying a shiny jet without the PIC hours. They are called Pilot In Command Under Supervision hours. This allows you to log copilot hours as PIC, under certain conditions.

Cheers Maurice.

Last edited:
I agree with Koning Lucht. Please bare in mind that when you ask the questions over the phone to ask for the persons email address. This can save you a lot of time. After the conversation write the person what you just discussed and ask for WRITTEN confirmation. (In the format: Just to make sure I understand you completely, blah blah , blah)

I have had a lot of trouble with the CAA about PIC time and the writing part helped me out. There is some confusion within their department. Good luck and keep us up to date if you can. I'm curious to see what you did.

Hooie allemal,
Can anyone please give me the contact/address/Tel. of the Dutch CAA? Is it in Hoofddorp? I'll be heading to the Netherlands soon and would like to ask them some questions and clarify some things.

Thanks and happy landings!

Tot ziens!

FMC

Please don,t invest anything until you are sure you have all the correct answers about how to proceed. And get them from the authorities. (As mentioned above but just to emphasize.) Sometimes you get different answers to the same question when people who don,t know the exact answer fill in the gaps with their own view of the solution.

I definately think it,s better to get your ATPL on your current license first. (wich country is your license?) Get your PIC hours or whatever is required to be able to upgrade to Captain in the 737.(assuming you are currently flying the 737) This way you have your ATPL with a 737 type and all your hours. In this case if I,m not mistaken you don,t need to do all 14 exams but just 5 or 6, because of your experience on JAR 25 aircraft.

Also, I know a few people who have found jobs where their new companies apply for JAR validations of their license. This means you can fly on JAR registered aircraft for up to a year. After or during this 1 year, you can take the exams and your next profcheck will get you your JAR ATPL.

Good luck but take your time figuring this one out. D

Hi DNMNR,
Thanks for the reply but let me get things explained.
The reason I am looking to do conversion for JAA ATPL is that I am NOT able to unfreeze my current ATPL even though I do meet now all the requirements of hours.
The explanation for this is that according to the CAA here, You can NOT get a FULL ATPL unless you successfully completed trainng for left seat.
If I could get my upgrade faster and get a FULL ATPL here, I would never think to do conversion to JAA.
If I follow this way, it would take ages and I will be stuck here for long.
This is obviously a 'trap' in a step trying to avoid the big shortage of pilots and specially F/O's running away.

Back to last question, anyone can get me the Dutch CAA contact?

FMC

Back