please help :(

O

ozdn

Hi for everyone...

First of all, i would like to explain my situation;

I am almost 29 and from Turkey, i am living in Holland since 2 years,i can understand almost everything in Dutch but i cant speak yet, thats why i am writing in English...

I really want to be pilot and i know i am little bit late but better then never i believe,i cant do the education of frozen atpl in Holland,because first my dutch is not enough,second i dont have dutch nationality to get credit from the bank... since long time i am trying to find a solution and finally i found a way;

I found a flight school in Istanbul and i can get credit from the bank in Turkey.They said the education is the same as in Holland, JAR FROZEN ATPL program...

My questions are ;

1) If i do that education in Istanbul and when i get my Dutch passport ( i believe after 11 mounths) what is the possibility to get a job in Holland and how can i be sure the brevet is valid in Holland ?

2) How many flight hours do i need to get minimum ?

3) Also do i need to pay type rating myself ? if its yes which one is better to get a job ?

Thanks a lot

Kind Regards

Ozden Vardal

Last edited:
I am not a pilot(yet), so my answers are just based on info i found out on this forum.

Jobs in holland are pretty hard to get. If you didnt graduate on 1 of the more popular and known schools like KLS/NLS/Stella etcetc, then you have to be pretty lucky to find 1. I dont say its impossible, but even if you come from 1 of these schools, a job at a dutch airliner isnt guaranteed.
The brevet is valid in holland, because there are "european standards", not national standards for a brevet. The only way you can get problems with a brevet is if you get it from the USA, or any other country that doesnt train you for the JAR license. They handle with different standards, and you need a conversion program to make your brevet valid for european use then. But if your school says its doing JAR, then you dont have to worry about that.

And yes, probally all of the dutch airliners make you pay the type-ratings yourself. And at this time, it is pretty hard to say which typerating is the best to take. Because it also pretty much depends on which airliner you are planning to go for. But as far as i know, you first apply to a job, then once accepted you get the typerating.

Once again, this is just all based on info i found on this board. If i gave any false information, or wrong answers, feel free to correct me.

what's the name of the flightschool you mentioned? I'm also not a pilot, but most of us can help you out, if you could give the name, everyone can check their site and their reputation, which is very important. Good Luck;)

Best option to get yourself into the righthand seat of a Dutch operator? Wait for another year. By then you will have a Dutch nationality and in the mean time, study hard to master the Dutch language! The courses and books are in Englisch as well (NLS) if there is someone who prefers English.

Now you will be able to get yourself into one of the above mentioned flight academy's (KLS/NLS/...) and that is probably the ONLY way to get a job in the Netherlands! If you want to get a job here, you must be able to speak Dutch anyway.

If you have trouble speaking Dutch, you could also focus on airlines that do no require this. For instance Ryanair where you can be based in Germany. I don't know which airfield, but it's located just over the border with Germany. In the future they might as wel have a base at Eindhoven Airport.

This information might expand your horizon on finding a suitable airline to make your ambitions come true while living in Holland.

ryanair is based on Weeze Airport, Niederrhein, in the vicinity of Venlo. Have you already made your mind up about which airline you prefer? Do you really want to fly for a dutch airline, or like PH-Chucky said, Ryanair, or VLM, Air Berlin? inside the BeNeLux or Germany.

If you leave Holland to do the course in Turkey will you still get your Dutch citizenship in 12 months? I doubt citizenship is that important, I managed to get a job in Holland without it. Rather than NLS etc you could try a company like Denim Air. They have hired pilots from various nationalities, including a lot of SPanish guys. They obviously don't speak Dutch either. When you have your JAR licence then you start applying, don't pay for a Type Rating without a "job offer" of some sort. For example if Denim Air wants you, then you could do the Dash Type Rating, or if Ryanair wants you then you can do the 737 TR. Don't waste money on a Type Rating you may never use.

Just my 2c

Turkey is also a JAA member, hence any license you were to obtain there is also useable in any other JAA member state (such as the Netherlands), unless the operator requires you to have license from a certain state (in which case it should be no problem having your license transferred to this state).

What about a European Citizenship to work in Europe? Do you need that? Otherwise it's useless to have a JAA certifictate when you're not alowed to work.

The JAA certificate is not the problem. The requirement to live in the Netherlands for 5 years because of the security check might be though...
That would be the case for all Dutch operators i think.
Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kusje daag

5 years in Holland for a security check is not necessary either. You will have to get one done, but the KMAR should be able to handle it. I only lived in Holland 5 months and they did mine with no problems.

You may be able to get in with a working visa for the Netherlands but undoubtedly you will require the ability to keep working long term (ie EU citizenship).

Good luck!

What about a European Citizenship to work in Europe? Do you need that? Otherwise it's useless to have a JAA certifictate when you're not alowed to work.

I dont have any problem with working permanent , i all ready have a visium for 5 years ,to live in Holland and also to work , but the question is when i get my frozen atpl i can only have about 220 hours flight experience how can i produce ? or lets say how can i find a job with it... is there a chance? , because if i want to make more hours myself its means i have to pay a loooooooooooot of money for that which i cant :) because i heard they are talking about 350 euros per hour with multiple engine ...

Back