Salary

mattblack

Sorry guys, another question if I may.

Having now started my PPL training, and really liking it, I'm considering a possible future career change (ok it's years down the line, after a lot of training etc).

However, I know it will cost approx 100k euros to get my full ATPL (You can buy a a house for that!). I've seen jobs available with private jet companies, but they often ask FOs to invest 40,000-50,000 euros of their own money just to be hired! For additional typerating training etc.

It's the only industry i know where you have to pay 50k just to get a job (That's after the 100k to get a licence)!

So, my question is.... what would be the starting salary for such a FO with a private jet company? The salaries are never mentioned on the job information pages. I'm only asking because I want to calculate whether it would be worth it. 150,000 euros in total is enough to buy a house, and it's 5 years of my current salary! But if it's a worthwhile investment, then a trip to the bank for a loan may be necessary :) Also, what would a (new/starting) FO get with an airline? DHL, KLM, Private, etc.

Thanks again
~Matt

Ik zou zeggen zet een volle pot koffie en ga er eens lekker voor zitten.
Ga dan naar Airwork.nl en begin met lezen!!!

We horen volgende week wel ofzo hoe het met je gaat!!

I'm only asking because I want to calculate whether it would be worth it.

Does a bear crap in the woods? Honestly, if you really want to fly, you don't give a darn shit about the load it costs. All you have is a goal that needs to be evolved in an achievement.

Met oranjekoeken, ik houd ook niet zo van vragen die 3000x gesteld worden T&G;)

Tis nie denigreerden of slech niedrlands tis gewoo de ontnuchterende realiteit

ok sorry if its been asked a million times (Im sure it has) but my dutch isn't good enough to trawl through all the pages. It takes me 10 minutes just to read one sentence :)

And i searched google and other sites for a while before asking, but found no useful information - just vacancies.

wvdb, it's not all black and white though. People have bills to pay, hypotheek rente every month etc. I'm studying with whatever spare cash i have after I've payed the bills (And damn bela$tingdien$t). If the salaries aren't worth the investment, then I will just stick with PPL and enjoy flying for fun (Rather than work). If the salaries are exceptional then I would consider taking it another step further.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and I'll take a look at the link now. (I found another topic on these boards with a salary calculator. It looks pretty cool, but I didn't understand all the questions).

Cheers!

PS: I understand koffie! :)

@ mattblack, sorry chap, didn't know you were not Dutch speaking. Don't worry Dutch is a English word sst don't tell the cloggies they might get upset since they think they are the best schoolboy's in the world. ;)

Ever read the paperback called the undutchables..??

lol geen probleem. Anyhow, als ik mijn PPL in nederlands moeten 'nemen(?)', dan moet ik oefenen. Of zoiets :)

Ik begrijp een beetje nederlands, maar het nederlands hier op airwork (en andere nederlands websites) is niet zo 'standard'. BijVb - denigreerden? slech? nie? gewoo? lol - even the online dictionaries don't know these words.

I'll keep trying, it's helping my Dutch.

Thanks

ok i found some examples, wide ranging from 30k - 80k. I think every one of them requires 500 hours minimum hours on type plus type rating.... how do you get that then without getting a job? Some wanted 1,500 hours on type for FO posts! Wow.

@WvdB

Vreemd, ik vond het namelijk echt wel belangrijk wat ik moest betalen voor mijn vliegopleiding.... en nog belangrijker, wat ik nu verdien

Does a bear crap in the woods? Honestly, if you really want to fly, you don't give a darn shit about the load it costs. All you have is a goal that needs to be evolved in an achievement.

Sorry hoor, maar hier word ik weer beetje misselijk van...

Het is belachelijk dat iemand moet betalen om ergens te mogen werken. Vliegen is gewoon een vak, er zijn mensen die ervan houden en er zijn mensen die er niets van moeten hebben. De werkgevers hebben piloten nodig...

Als ik jou dus moet geloven en je bij wijze van een miljoen zou moeten dokken voordat je ergens mag komen werken zou je het belachelijk vinden als daar iemand om zeurt/ commentaar op heeft.

Ik vind het de omgekeerde wereld.

Maar goed dat is mijn mening waar ik waarschijnlijk weer een shitload aan reacties op zal ontvangen.

Last edited:
Het is belachelijk dat iemand moet betalen om ergens te mogen werken..

Maar het is voor de meerderheid van de maatschappijen wel waar...

Naast je 50k-110k aan opleiding ook nog eens je eigen type rating of zelfs class rating dokken (dat laatste als je binnen de GA blijft of in het kleine segment van air taxi charter aanhobbelt),

Soms zeggen de mij, nee hoor niet betalen voor je type maar een bond voor drie jaar, en dat merk je in een lager salaris vgl met degenen die wel gedokt hebben.

En als je geluk hebt (of er echte krapte op de markt is danwel dat ze DEC nodig hebben) een bond die lineair afloopt binnen 1-3 jaar en geen salaris consequentie heeft.

It's basically the age-old discussion of whether people should have to pay to fly (i.e. Typeratings etc.).

Your chances on finding a first job depend heavily on whether you want to go all the way with your finances and invest in that TR, your flexibility in moving to another country to fly, and your age.

Word of advice - Don't mention KLM. The mere whispering of this word combination often unleashes a storm of discussion about free-marketing, NLS/KLS/EPST school discussions and whether it's all SO good at that company. At any rate your chances of getting in it as a first job are slim to none.

But to answer your question quick 'n raw - There's a lot of investigation to be done at ppjn and pprune for instance, you're looking at around 2200-3000 euro's netto per month for a new FO. It's hard to weigh everything perfectly though.

Take for instance Ryanair - The guys there are getting paid a fair amount of cash - But they have to sort their own taxes and there's no extra premiums (Overload's undoubtedly going to deny this - But that only furthers my example that it's not so straightforward!). I know the range between 2200-3000 is large but just expect you're gonna be closer to the bottom than the top for your calculations, and whatever you get paid extra is well, extra.

Welcome to Airwork and just keep in mind that the majority of the people here is helping the "newbies" off off their pink clouds and onto their feet with some harsh, quick reality.

yea thats what i need, reality. I'm 24 this year, so I've got a lot of things to calculate and decisions to make NOW before it's too late.

Which is why I'm asking all the questions. There's a lot of experience here between you guys, and I'd be stupid not to take advantage of that.

Thanks for the straight response, estimate salaries, etc.

And I can't figure out who's English here, you all write such good english! Even I feel like I've got to make an effort now lol.

Thanks again.

OK, brew a big pot of koffie (I know you know what that is) and get a comfy chair.
Go to Airwork.nl and start reading.
Let us know how you are next week or so!!

Figured I translate it for you.
OK, no way of knowing you have a tough time reading Dutch, which is unfortunate because there's a lot of info here. Definitely try pprune and take a look at flightinfo.com as well.

Also, if you kind of search the internet for Netjets Europe & USA you'll probably get to see all their salaries & benefits.

Cheers mate!

Back