PPL Theory in English - in The Netherlands?

wow having looked at them example PPL tests, I've no chance of sitting it in Dutch. Ik week minder helft van de worden. :-S

response from the CBR offices...

Dear Sir,

Unfortunately it is not possible to do PPL theory exams in English here in the Netherlands.

Kind regards,
Mw. J.B. Bos
Coördinator afdeling Luchtvaartexamens
020-5840311

ahh it's a shame..
if I was you.. I would choose to do my ppl in the UK.. much easier to do all the theory in english specially for you, a native English speaker. It is a hell of a job to learn Dutch AND trying to understand all the Dutch technical therms.
may be it's possible to do it in Belgium or Germany in English?

BCM

aaah now there's an idea! Do you know who controls the licencing in belgium and germany?

I'm still waiting to hear back from ivw, they're the ones who will have the answers.

no I don't know who controls the licencing in belgium and germany but i can ask a friend, he knows it for sure how it works in belgium. I'lll ask him and let you know asap..
germany I don't know.. so may be anyone on airwork wo knows the germany ivw?

BCM

Well the IVW are pretty clear with their response!...

Dear Sir,

There is no possibility to take the JAR-FCL PPL exams in the English language. Art. 8.3.b. of the Examenreglement voor Luchtvarenden 2004 is quite clear: Language for theory exams for PPL: Dutch.

Met vriendelijke groet and Kind regards,

Frank Knape
------------------------
Inspectie Verkeer en Waterstaat
Unit Persoonsdocumenten Personenvervoer en Luchtvaart
Postbus 120
2501 CC Den Haag

I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall!

Well, considering you want to continue with CPL/ATPL, you might look more into the UK-option.

On the other hand, when I took my training, one of my "collegues" was scottish, born and raised. He only lived in the Netherlands for about one or two years before starting training, but spoke fluently Dutch. Really amazing. Anyway, he did follow all training in Dutch, and did a pretty good job at it!

Now, if you don't consider living in the Netherlands longterm, maybe England would be the way to go. If you do consider staying here, you might just have to go through the whole mess. Remember, you'll be one of about 5.000 people WORLDWIDE who can speak aviation-dutch! :D

Mattblack,

I've done my PPL exams in Belgium last year. I beleive they have several language options, including english (due to the fact they are multi lingual as a country).

I'm not sure if you can study at home and go for the exams, since my theory intructor signed a paper that I attended theory classes there.

Anyways, you have to contact mobilit.fgov of belgium:
http://www.mobilit.fgov.be/nl/index.htm (dutch or french only, unfortunately)

I checked to see if there was any way to see what languages they use for the examinations, but I found no reference. I'm sure there were 3 or 4 options though (Dutch, French, German (?), English (?)).

The examination itself is a lot more flexible planning-wise then the Dutch examinations. I believe that in the Netherlands there are only 3 days in a year where you can go for your examinations, while in Belgium you plan it together with the Mobility office. A friend of mine who flunked two (out of nine) exams went back the very next day ;)

The main thing however is the fact that you will also need an attest that you have done the theory course with an instructor, not sure if that is feasible for you?

If you're really bored, you could just go for CPL / ATPL theory to begin with since those exams are in English ;) As far as I know, it's no problem to get a PPL with CPL / ATPL theory. You'll just be rather over-qualified on the theory front. I doubt you'll ever attempt polar navigation in a Cessna.

haha polar nav in a cessna sounds fun. Can I also do it in a Traumahawk? :)

Thanks for your help, belgium would be a great option as i'm so close (Eindhoven/Veldhoven).

ATPL might be a bit much for me (?). Mind you, I am doing everything self-study, so it might be worthwhile trying to do it now (Studying one subject at a time, take the test, etc).

Is there a time-constraint on how quickly you must take all the ATPL tests? Like within 12 months or so? Do they expire? Using them for my PPL (If possible) would be a great option too.

Thanks so much

PS: I do intend to stay here, ive bought a house so i hope so anyhow lol. And i speak a bit of dutch, but having only studied for 12 months I'm struggling with techy-speak. My local theory classes (at the flying club i go to) are all in Dutch so it might be good to attend (Would help my dutch, but i can only attend half the classes due to work commitments).

ok i've now written to mobilit.fgov.be. I've not had any further responses back from the other organisations yet.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers

Not sure how long (f)ATPL will stay current, I heard a figure of 7 years, but the instructor himself wasn't sure. By that time you must have IR with ME, in essence CPL (??? big 'questionmarks, not sure here).

I don't even know if you can take your PPL-practical exam with CPL-theory-exams.

Might be you would be taking your CPL-exam (which is not a bad thing at itself, you could start doing "proeflessen" yourself afterwards!) but the exam-standard are higher, (tolerations on flightpath-deviations) and you might need more flighttraining before taking your test/receiving your licence. (quite a difference, if I remember correctly)

Details can be found in the JAR-FCL part 1.

If you would get your PPL first, you could get your family/friends/collegues to participate in your flying.
Disclaimer: I did not say they can pay for you renting an airplane! - But they might be willing to "invite you for dinner."

Cheers, var.

Not sure how long (f)ATPL will stay current, I heard a figure of 7 years, but the instructor himself wasn't sure. By that time you must have IR with ME, in essence CPL (??? big 'questionmarks, not sure here).

"IR with ME" is not "CPL in essence." You can easily have PPL ME-IR, or even CPL SE-VFR only. (you can only fly VFR-scenic flights, but that might be where all the fun is for you.)

Before receiving your ATPL (unfrozen) you would need 1500hrs flighttime of which a large portion on Multi-crew-airplanes. Whether flighttime is considered Multi-crew, depends on either the type of airplane, or the type of operation. VFR-flying on a single engine Cessna is never considered multi-crew.

so, combined with my previous post:

CPL-theory might be one solution (exams are in English), but you must be sure that you either can take your PPL-flight-exam with it, or be willing to spend more money on a complete CPL-licence, if the IVW would not cooperate.

Then again, if you're lucky, the Belgium authorities will allow you to take the PPL-exams in English, and all our rambling is frozen theory after all...

Hey guys, are you ready for some good news (I'm smiling my little face away now)? Here's a reply from our wonderful Belgium friends (My best friends now)....

Hello Sir,

It's no problem to do your theoretical examination in English here. The English language is forseen in our examinationsystem.

You can send us the inscription form ( see website: www.mobilit.fgov.be - rubriek lucht - vliegvergunningen en theoretische examens), together with a trainingcertificate of your school and a proof of payment of 84 euros (account n°: 679-2006022-62).

On the inscription form you can also mention the dates you prefer, you can do your examination every day except Friday.

Hopefully it's clearer now and we hope to see you soon.

Best regards.

Mario Callebaut
Licencing Department

Way to go, Matt. Lot cheaper too ;)

I can supply the Airlaw book we used in our belgian course if you want. There are some differences between the Dutch and Belgian airlaws, althought small. And I believe transition altitude in the Netherlands is default 3000', whereas in Belgium it's 4500', a factor you must keep in mind when they ask you to do some calculations. I'm not aware of any further differences, but I haven't done the Dutch course ;-)

Hey FC, that would be cool. Is it in English?

How do the practicals work? Would I go to a test centre, or would I need to be a member of a flying club down in Belgium?

Back